The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Wader question (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/311824-wader-question.html)

cowger10 02-24-2013 07:01 PM

Wader question

I have a pair of Columbia waders and the neoprene socks are not sealed. I was wondering how I could seal them. Would aqua seal be the best. I would gladly take any suggestions.
Thanks
Ryan

mcnerney 02-24-2013 07:14 PM

Re: Wader question

Ryan: As far as I know Aqua Seal is the best.

caseywise 02-24-2013 10:18 PM

i would send them back to columbia and request a refund.

casey

Guest1 02-24-2013 11:02 PM

Are they leaking? If they are it seems the made a mistake and missed a step. I'd have them replace them.

By the way, did you look on the inside?

cowger10 02-25-2013 08:33 AM

Dan they are leaking and I have not checked the insides. I will do that when I get home today. I also just sent an email to Columbia to see what they can do for me. Thanks for the suggestions.

Rip Tide 02-25-2013 08:39 AM

The Aqua Seal (or a GOOP product) will work on tears or seam separations, but not on compression leaks

fredaevans 02-25-2013 08:45 AM

RT's nailed it. If you have a leaking bootie odds on its a compression leak.

dhaynes 02-25-2013 12:58 PM

I made the mistake of leaving my waders in the trunk of my car during a very hot summer spell.... all the goop that sealed the seam between the neoprene bootie and the waterproof/breathable material melted out. You could see the runs where the goop literally liquified and ran. No amount of re-gooping with aqua seal seemed to fix it.... Bottom line: they are now in a box in my basement and I have a new pair of waders which I NEVER leave in the car!

Rip Tide 02-25-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhaynes (Post 530796)
I made the mistake of leaving my waders in the trunk of my car during a very hot summer spell.... all the goop that sealed the seam between the neoprene bootie and the waterproof/breathable material melted out. You could see the runs where the goop literally liquified and ran. No amount of re-gooping with aqua seal seemed to fix it.... Bottom line: they are now in a box in my basement and I have a new pair of waders which I NEVER leave in the car!

if they're in the basement, don't leave them near the furnace
ozone will kill them too.

:yikes:

dhaynes 02-25-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 530805)
if they're in the basement, don't leave them near the furnace
ozone will kill them too.

:yikes:

Nope.... old ones are in the basement but still a long way from the furnace... thanks, though.