The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 11:14 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: cork, & why it's so expensive

So since I am far from a corker expert, is cork recyclable?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
I just received a quote for cork ring without holes the other day.

The price per piece is $1.95.
100 pieces : $195.00
200 pieces : $390.00

The kicker was this statement "Please let me know if you have any additional questions". Ya!! I have additional question...WHY SO MUCH!
Without knowing for sure, I bet the answer is

BECAUSE OTHER PEOPLE WILL PAY THAT MUCH!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
William you are correct, the trees regenerate every 9 years and it is the third generation and beyond that produces higher grade cord. It's a shame that they waste that cork on wine bottles and not as much on grips for fly rods.
Not quite so bad as that, but damned close. Wine corks are stamped out of flat sheets (zero to do with how the video shows same) and the 'left overs' are ground up and turned into a lot of 'other things.' Like the bottoms of Burkinstock sandals.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:08 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuie675 View Post
So since I am far from a corker expert, is cork recyclable?
Absolutely! In fact much of the cork on our grips is/ are probably recycled. If I am not mistaken: most of the cork in stuff that you and I use (other than wine corks) is recycled-- floor tiles, gaskets, insulation, soil conditioners, sports equipment, etc.

This leads me to think that the sentiment that it is so expensive simply because people will pay the prices, is an accurate assessment.