The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 01:11 AM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough
Default cork, & why it's so expensive

this might be 1 reason...

Old 02-25-2013, 03:06 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: cork, & why it's so expensive

The Story of Cork, Manufacturing & Products - YouTube

there is another good cover on it.

But also blame wine drinkers hahahaha
rubberguy likes this.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:11 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuie675 View Post

But also blame wine drinkers hahahaha
There's more than a bit of truth to that Stu. Even Lebanon bottles 7 MILLION bottles of wine per year. Read that just a couple of days ago and did a 'Say What?' Most of it out of the Bakka Valley of all places.

Cost of wine bottle cork, a good one? About the same as the glass bottle. Tis' why so many are going to 'plastic cork' and screw tops. Actually, the screw top is the best of the bunch for sealing a wine bottle.
imxer and oarfish like this.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I watched the video. Its a shame they have to take the bark from all the way around the tree. My understanding is that girdling the tree this way will kill it.

Probably isn't that much enforcement around their. I wonder if they are growing and harvesting it sustainably?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

No I believe it regenerates just fine, but they watch when and how they harvest it to protect the tree. I think they have to wait till a tree is 20 or so years old before the first harvest and then the second comes 10 or so years after. This continues for the life of the tree, which can be over 150 years I believe.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:49 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
I watched the video. Its a shame they have to take the bark from all the way around the tree. My understanding is that girdling the tree this way will kill it.

Probably isn't that much enforcement around their. I wonder if they are growing and harvesting it sustainably?
Watch the second video it says they get bark from one tree for a very long time, it grows back pretty quickly and the trees out last most humans.
noreaster likes this.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:14 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
No I believe it regenerates just fine, but they watch when and how they harvest it to protect the tree. I think they have to wait till a tree is 20 or so years old before the first harvest and then the second comes 10 or so years after. This continues for the life of the tree, which can be over 150 years I believe.
William you are correct, the trees regenerate every 9 years and it is the third generation and beyond that produces higher grade cord. It's a shame that they waste that cork on wine bottles and not as much on grips for fly rods. Some people like the natural look, I like the quality of the cork on the latest Hardy Zenith. I've picked up a couple of rods lately that can't match the quality of my Zenith.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:49 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

As mentioned Cork is a Widely used Product especially in The Wine Industry,some of The Best Quality Cork I've seen has been on Women's Shoes,Floor Tiles,Gasket Materiais etc.

Some of The Worst Quality has been on Some Rods,some Cork Rings I've bought.
Really when you look at price of Things Today there are still some Places where you can buy Good Quality Cork at reasonable Prices,then again lots of things we buy to do with Fishing is always expensive & mostly we always get Ripped off as us Fishermen are a Soft Touch.
Another example is Flytying Materials,A Spool of Holographic Tinsel cost me $2.45 for about 15 yrds,at Christmas Time a couple of years ago I Bought The Same Stuff made into Decorations & for $2 I have enough to do me a Lifetime...
Brian
Old 02-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The last really good cork I bought cost me $3.50/1/2" Ring. The next time I bought from the same place, they tried to get me the best they had and charged me the same amount, but the cork was not nearly as good. That really good batch I mentioned went on my Meiser and used about 13" of it. Figure that one out.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:31 PM

popperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

I just received a quote for cork ring without holes the other day.

The price per piece is $1.95.
100 pieces : $195.00
200 pieces : $390.00

The kicker was this statement "Please let me know if you have any additional questions". Ya!! I have additional question...WHY SO MUCH!

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !