The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all
Default Re: Allen Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
I was a little disappointed that they weren't at the Lancaster Fly Expo this year I was hoping to buy a reel there.
Sorry about that. I had plans to be there. However, I needed to take a week off for some medical issues. All is good now and we'll be in Michigan next week at the Mid-West Expo.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2013, 05:22 PM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

For you guys that have ABAL boxes, how do they compare quality wise to a Wheatley? I am looking for a compartment box with foam on the other side and saw these, but can't comprehend the price difference...lol
Old 03-07-2013, 05:27 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

You wouldn't be sorry if ya got one. I can't say about Wheatleys,,dont have one of them,,but these are every bit as good as the Orvis aluminum boxes,,with the trout colors that sell for about 45 dollars. The Allen's are a classic black, and perfect to personalize with perhaps a decal or name plate,,if one chose to. Or, they look just dandy as they are ! These boxes are proof that quality does NOT have to cost an arm and a leg. I'm ordering another one.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:42 PM

Also, I don't see replacement foam on their site...will Wheatley foam work as well? How close in shape/size are they?

Thanks

I wish they were not sold out of the ABAL4

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

I bought 2 of the ABAL3's. We will see how they are when they come. I don't really like the rippled foam, but am hoping I can replace with Wheatley flat foam.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:39 AM

I received the fly boxes today in the mail. Needless to say, at $13 a piece, I am very very impressed.

I don't like the ridged foam, but I ordered some replacement flat Wheatley foam for both of them when I purchased. This has not arrived yet, but I will let you know if it fits.

Great job.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:46 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I ordered the Allen Guide Box myself a while ago. Great box for the money. Half the price of those terrible cliff boxes.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:20 AM

lacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nice

I had a question about a line that I'd purchased. Sent it at about 6PM my time, which is 7PM theirs. Had a response within 15 minutes. Stellar.

Bob
Old 03-17-2013, 09:25 AM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I just showed a friend of mine my ALAB3 and he was blown away by how nice it was for the money. He just ordered a Wheatly but has second thoughts.

Craig
Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

All my fly boxes and hooks come from Allen... No better deals on the internet... Now I'm in the market for a reel...

Is Allen gonna be at the Great Waters Expo again this year?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:27 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacanadio View Post
I had a question about a line that I'd purchased. Sent it at about 6PM my time, which is 7PM theirs. Had a response within 15 minutes. Stellar.

Bob
Yeah, they emailed me back at 1030pm once, 5 minutes after I emailed then. We continued the email chain until about 1130.