The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 12:16 PM

beadhead is on a distinguished road
Default How to Use Cortland Mini-Head Kit

I wounder if anyone out there can give me some advice on the use of Cortland Mini-Head Kit mini-sink-tips. I fish the Driftless Area of SW WI, SE MN, and NE IA for trout in its numerous spring creeks. I would rarely need sink tip fly line, but I bought a Cortland Mini-Head Mini-sink-tip kit, to fish the ocassional deep pools that I fish. I don't want to spend the money on sink-tip fly line, and an extra spool. I will be using this kit on WF5F fly line. How long should I cut the length for attachment to my fly line?
Old 01-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to Use Cortland Mini-Head Kit

How long are these heads? I bought some that were 5' and then I have the Multi Tip Line where they are 15'.
For either of them experiment with length of leader. Of course this will make a difference with weighted flies also, so I try not to use weighted flies except maybe a bead head.
I also don't waste money with TAPERED leaders. I just use straight Flourocarbon fishing line.
They are great...saves on rod tips and no duck and chuck! LOL
Old 01-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: How to Use Cortland Mini-Head Kit

Hi beadhead,

Here is one way to do it. You need a scale that weight grains. The proper weight for a 5wt line is 140 grains in the first 30'. Take what ever length of sink tip you are using and add it to the scale. Now, starting with the tip of your fly line, add enough fly line to bring the scale to 140 grains. This is the amount of fly line you need out the rod tip to properly load a 5wt fly rod. You need to add 10' or so of fly line and put a black mark that is a few inches long. Now when the black mark is in your line hand the rod will be correctly loaded with the sinking line attached. Here is one other step you could do to make the measurement more accurate. Before you do anything lay line out the rod tip and pick up the rod holding the line in your ling hand that is comfortable to you . Now measure from the rod tip to where you were holding the line. This is how much line you need to add for your mark instead of the ten feet.

Frank