The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 07:55 PM

ja501 is on a distinguished road
Default Abel Reels

My wife has told me to pick out an Abel Reel for our 5 year anniversary. She's truly an amazing woman. She's heard me talking about my friends abel trout finish and wants me to have one. I'm thinking about getting the DeYoung Brown Trout Flank in solid frame. Does anyone have any experience with the durability of the finish on their fish graphic reels? I want to use this reel and not put it on the cabinet.

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You donít have to eat the ball to have a good time.
~ Anonymous
Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Abel Reels

Wow what a nice wife....congrats on her willingness to tolerate your past time activities and the associated indulgences. I always tell my wife I can spend $100 on fly gear or jokingly $100 at the nudie bar...her choice hahahaha ( I've been sober 10 years in June so she knows which one isn't happening either way.

I can't comment on the reel or the finish as all I have are single color Abel nippers.

Just wanted to say wow, what a lucky guy.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:21 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Indeed, you are a lucky man. My understanding is that the Abel finishing is second to none, and you should have no qualms about using your fish graphic reel as a user.

Use it as it was meant to be used, just enjoy how it looks while you do so!

Congratulations on 5 years of marriage!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Very cool that your wife is supportive of your fishing tastes. My experience with Abel is limited compared to others on the board, but I'd expect the finish to be as durable as most other reels. Perhaps the Hard Alox finish of Lamson not withstanding. The cool thing though is that you can get them refinished by Abel. That's a nice choice btw, beautiful reel. Especially with a solid frame.

Avs, those nippers won't be your only Abel product for very long
Old 02-25-2013, 10:39 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

My friend does the color finish on the reels at Abel. He does a great job and they are tough. Buy it and fish it! Congrats on the reel and a great wife!

Craig
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 AM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

Kinda like these???

Click the image to open in full size.

Congrats, the reels pictured above have been out fishing about 30 times thus far and I have had no issues other than servicing them. Which is adding lube to the cork and is very straight forward and simple. They still get anodized the same way a regular reel would but they are something else to look at for sure and bring a smile to my face every time.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

As others have said, you are truly lucky to have a wife that supports that kind of taste in gear. I have been married 42 years and I doubt if my dear wife will ever come up with that suggestion, even though she knows that I would dearly love to have one of those reels. I'm the kind of guy that would probably buy it, fish it a couple of times and admire it but buy the solid black version as well and fish it everywhere without worry. The first ding in that fancy paint job would kill me and it would happen in the situations that I have fished up to now. Beautiful reels. Hope you enjoy the reel.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:20 PM

Thanks for all the input, my wife truly is amazing. Nice reels 1move, I may have to have the matching handle. I know that I'm doing a matching drag knob.

JA

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You donít have to eat the ball to have a good time.
~ Anonymous
Old 02-26-2013, 05:43 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja501 View Post
Thanks for all the input, my wife truly is amazing. Nice reels 1move, I may have to have the matching handle. I know that I'm doing a matching drag knob.

JA
I actually like the wooden handle as opposed to the matching handle. Simply my preference. The matching drag knob, IMO, is a must, whether you go solid back or ported.

I have two Super 4N's, one Von Behr, and the other Brown Trout in HD (which my wife bought me for my 40th birthday) finish. They're both beautiful and the finish is just as durable as the standard anodizing they do on the solid colors. It's no different. It can nick and scratch, but the Abels seems to hold their finish very well.

If it were me, I'd get the Brown Trout Flank in the solid back. It's simply beautiful.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:57 PM

I ordered it this afternoon. Solid frame, matching drag knob and wooden regular handle. I can't wait to fish it. Good thinking on the birthday idea. I'll be 40 in seven years and I hope to have another painted abel by then.

JA
jaybo41 and leithel like this.

~ Anonymous