The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Wet Wading (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/312018-wet-wading.html)

christianfishn 02-26-2013 09:31 PM

Wet Wading

I usually wet wade anytime but the winter herein Ohio. Im heading out to the smokies to hit some of the small backcountry feeder streams as an adventure early april and was wondering if anyone has some input for a light weight quick drying clothing article that would be worthwhile. I was thinking about ordering a pair of those goofy thigh high wool socks some women wear. Would wool be my best bet? of should i try merino wool or somthing else? thanks.

alexs 02-26-2013 09:48 PM

Re: Wet Wading

For April.... I suggest waders...:D

roadkill1948 02-26-2013 10:05 PM

I like the thigh high socks, bought them at Bass Pro as wader socks, very easy to remove or put on as the need arises. I've wondered about hip high waders for the type of water you mentioned.

waterfordcreek 02-26-2013 10:58 PM

You are going to need waders in april here in the Smokies.

Sounds like i am a bit like you....dislike waders.

Until i started using Frogg Togg hellbender wading pant...LOVE THEM. This winter i have used them off trail for close to 60 trips....never an issue at $109.

Its not till at least june that i wet wade.

If you need any local advise....just let me know.

Jim

sandfly 02-27-2013 07:40 AM

I will not wet wade anymore, know a guy that fought and infection for 2 years after wet wading a mountain stream. he had and old scrape on his leg and the bacteria got in there. to many ugleys in our waters any more..

Rip Tide 02-27-2013 07:51 AM

I always wear long pants when wet wading. I not a big fan of poison ivy
(Usually Dickie's uniform pants from Salvation Army :rolleyes:)

tbiii 02-27-2013 07:53 AM

x2 on the Frog Toggs, excellent alternative to standard waders. If you're looking to truly wet wade and are concerned about warmth then wool may be an option, but I'm not sure how comfortable hiking around the Appalachians in wet socks would be. Columbia and several other companies make quick-dry nylon pants which are pretty nice, you may be able to find a similar product with integrated Gore-Tex or similar insulation poking around Sierra Trading Post or Campmor.

fly_guy12955 02-27-2013 09:11 AM

I don't bare leg wade. Cargo pants make good summer wet wading pants.

okuma 02-27-2013 09:42 AM

Although I never fished that area(yet), I would wear at least guide pants. I wear Frogg Toggs also. Along with knee high thermax and wick away socks. I drove through there 4 summers back and slept over night. Mind you I was formerly living in Louisiana then. WOW...it was chilly...and June.

wt bash 02-27-2013 09:43 AM

Don't know what you budget is but check out those Chota Hippies I think they're called, I don't own a pair but will shortly! They seem ideal for blue-lining.