The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 09:31 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about
Default Wet Wading

I usually wet wade anytime but the winter herein Ohio. Im heading out to the smokies to hit some of the small backcountry feeder streams as an adventure early april and was wondering if anyone has some input for a light weight quick drying clothing article that would be worthwhile. I was thinking about ordering a pair of those goofy thigh high wool socks some women wear. Would wool be my best bet? of should i try merino wool or somthing else? thanks.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:48 PM

alexs will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wet Wading

For April.... I suggest waders...
Guest1 and fredaevans like this.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 PM

roadkill1948 is on a distinguished road

I like the thigh high socks, bought them at Bass Pro as wader socks, very easy to remove or put on as the need arises. I've wondered about hip high waders for the type of water you mentioned.
fredaevans and christianfishn like this.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:58 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

You are going to need waders in april here in the Smokies.

Sounds like i am a bit like you....dislike waders.

Until i started using Frogg Togg hellbender wading pant...LOVE THEM. This winter i have used them off trail for close to 60 trips....never an issue at $109.

Its not till at least june that i wet wade.

If you need any local advise....just let me know.

Jim
Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I will not wet wade anymore, know a guy that fought and infection for 2 years after wet wading a mountain stream. he had and old scrape on his leg and the bacteria got in there. to many ugleys in our waters any more..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-27-2013, 07:51 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I always wear long pants when wet wading. I not a big fan of poison ivy
(Usually Dickie's uniform pants from Salvation Army )
Old 02-27-2013, 07:53 AM

tbiii will become famous soon enoughtbiii will become famous soon enough

x2 on the Frog Toggs, excellent alternative to standard waders. If you're looking to truly wet wade and are concerned about warmth then wool may be an option, but I'm not sure how comfortable hiking around the Appalachians in wet socks would be. Columbia and several other companies make quick-dry nylon pants which are pretty nice, you may be able to find a similar product with integrated Gore-Tex or similar insulation poking around Sierra Trading Post or Campmor.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I don't bare leg wade. Cargo pants make good summer wet wading pants.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Although I never fished that area(yet), I would wear at least guide pants. I wear Frogg Toggs also. Along with knee high thermax and wick away socks. I drove through there 4 summers back and slept over night. Mind you I was formerly living in Louisiana then. WOW...it was chilly...and June.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Don't know what you budget is but check out those Chota Hippies I think they're called, I don't own a pair but will shortly! They seem ideal for blue-lining.