The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 11:03 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Lancaster Fly Show

It was a great show! Always a pleasure to meet my fellow forum members. Would have been nice to have been able to socialize a bit more on Saturday, but it was a very busy day. Sunday was very slow...spent most of the day tying Glow Whistlers for one of our Costa Rican guides. I used up two whole bottles of super glue. Those things are wicked! It was amazing how many "experts" stopped to tell me I was doing it wrong (none of them were my friends from here....I think), even though they never fished a day in CR for Tarpon. Its really hard to find nice ways to say "go **** yourself". Bob Clouser gave me his seal of approval....good enough for me!

Saturday night's social gathering at Jim Murphy's house (we call it the "House of Hardy") was a real blast. Jim sure knows how to entertain! Super food and liquid refreshments. Jim is truely a class-act.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:58 AM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

A friend and I went on Sunday, but before I saw your post so we didn't avoid ...just didn't know.

It appeared to be a little slow on Sunday, but it was fun. The guy I was with is a fine caster, but as we watched Lefty work his magic cast after cast he says, "This is too embarrassing." Lefty is truly a joy to watch.

We had a good time. We checked out the toys and bought tying materials. I'd like to see it grow for next year.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:04 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Went for the first time. Paid for 2 days but only went one. Was there from 7am to 9pm or so. Got really repetitive IMO. Probably won't go next year since we have the Virginia Fly Fishing and Wine festival here every year. Maybe some crossover vendors.

Got to see Bob Clouser and Lefty which was a real pleasure. What is it about older fellas? They just seep wisdom and humor. Seeing and listening to them made the whole experience worth it for me.

Would love to make it up to Somerset sometime.
mrfzx likes this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 03-04-2013, 12:32 PM

blackbear will become famous soon enough

I was there yesterday at about 3 pm...really should have been earlier but didn't have the time as I was 2 hours away. It was pretty good for the tying supplies I went there for but some booths started clearing out early.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:46 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
I was there yesterday at about 3 pm...really should have been earlier but didn't have the time as I was 2 hours away. It was pretty good for the tying supplies I went there for but some booths started clearing out early.
You should have went to the WV Outdoor Show.My son was working a booth there and when he had a chance to walk around he said two booths had great deals on tying supplies! He called me to check on prices while I was at Lancaster.Spent money without even being there!Haha!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-08-2013, 03:58 PM

pabrown_yb245 is on a distinguished road

The show was great, it was my first time there, Lefty's presentation was informatable and humerous, I bought several items from multiple vendors, I met Mike Heck a local guy from my area, one thing I didn't see and forgot about was the rooms that had casting and movies, that would of keep me there longer, one thing I would suggest is "used rods for sale" from any vendor, I see all kinds of forums and the bay, for used rods for sale but you can't feel them over the internet, I was ready to buy from a guy that has a ton of used rods on his website & he didn't bring a single one. No biggie I it was a pleasure talking to him.

Overall a great show!