The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough
Default Snow Levels in Colorado & New Mexico

The past few years these states have not gotten a normal snow pack. I was just curious how good or bad the snow pack is presently? Since the lake levels have fallen without the snow and monsoon rains, the stream flows below them have suffered. Two years ago the National Forest and New Mexico State Parks in north central/eastern N.M. closed for July and August due to dry conditions which closed fishing on rivers. Last year Eagle Nest lake was very low but no closures in the forests.

Last year the level on Navajo Lake in N.W. New Mexico did not get to normal pool. If pool level does fall further will they reduce flows on the San Juan? Hopefully they are getting the snows levels needed in Colorado for this river.

Can anyone shed some light on how the fishing prospects are shaping up concerning water level expectations in both states?
brucerducer likes this.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:57 AM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Snow Levels in Colorado & New Mexico

Google Colorado Snow Pack Report and there should be a link from snotel. This map will give you a chance to get a good picture of what to expect around here this summer. The snow pack has come up substantially in the last couple of weeks. We still need more snow but a couple good late storms may get us close to normal this year. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at the WY and CO snowpacks a week or so ago and it wasn't a pretty sight. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some late season snow and some good spring rains......last year we didn't get either.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:02 PM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road

Colorado SNOTEL Snowpack Update Report

Still not looking all that great. Hopefully, come April we'll get one of the big storms (I just hope it's not an overpowering snow like 7 years ago!!).

In any case, there's still time to get up to the normal snowfall.

Respects,

Richard
Old 02-28-2013, 07:46 PM

lacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of light

I happened to look at New Mexico yesterday. Data as of 2/27. Not a pretty picture, even with the 30" that the Mt. Wheeler area got recently. Link to data is below.

BoR increased the San Juan flow recently to 350 cfs from 250 cfs. They're being very careful with the flows. They were going to go back to 250, but a storm intervened. The San Juan River Forum gets timely flow adjustment announcements directly from BoR in Durango.

SWMBO and I will be on the Juan tomorrow and Saturday. If anyone's interested, I'll report.

Bob
----------------
http://www.cpachecojr.com/cgi-bin/wo...=nmex&format=1

Last edited by lacanadio; 02-28-2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: San Juan flows
Old 02-28-2013, 07:57 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

It depends on the watershed, too. My little C&R stream is in the Mt Evans Watershed. Last report on the local news was that we were close to normal, which will be excellent. Last year we had no runoff, high temps, fishing moratorium. Downhill of Mt Evans, we've had 2 feet of snow since last weekend. Fingers crossed, snowblower running...
williamhj likes this.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

Nervous New Mexico resident here...praying for more precipitation
mcnerney and lacanadio like this.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:08 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the links. This will be my third annual July in Angel Fire and hope the situation is better than previous two. Will be fishing the Cimarron and Rio Castillo mostly. I'll also take a few days each up on the Conejos and over on San Juan. This has become a trip I plan all year and not getting the moisture needed has a big effect. The first year they closed the National Forest and State Parks in the area on the day I departed for Angel Fire. I learned of the closure upon arrival and only had Eagle Nest Lake to fish. So the second year I added the Conejos and San Juan to my trip to offset any possible closures around Angel Fire.

This is a good time of year to get heavy snows, some of which has come in the last couple of weeks. Keeping fingers crossed that more will come and the monsoon rains arrive on schedule.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:43 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

This always comes up this time of year. Doom and gloom of some sort. The "It's all gotta come down," build-an-ark year, two years ago. The great flood. The "big drought" that was going to kill every fish. Lakes going dry (and most of those due to man pumping water somewhere else!) Creeks getting too warm (again, mostly due to man, not natural creeks and rivers)

In the arid west, we almost never have an "average" year. We have 80 percent of average. 12 percent of average. 170 percent of average. 35 percent of average. 130 percent of average. Those are all normal years! That's how we arrive at precip. and water averages. Highs and lows make the average.

So looking at Wyoming right now, for example, it looks pretty good to me. Numbers ranging from the mid-70 percentile to the mid-90 percentile, with a couple of exceptions. Roughly 80-some percent of average. That's pretty good! If our only fluctuations in precip. every year were between 80 and 120 percent of that average, we'd be in great shape for what we have. (Not ever enough, but that's another thread)

And like others have mentioned, we still have spring and early summer ahead, and NOBODY can predict what will happen, or we'd all know who could make such prediction, and they could be found on their own private string of tropical islands somewhere, drowning in money. It will probably rain and snow some more though. Highly likely anyway.

Wyoming looks good at the moment, with spring yet to come. Just keep some fingers crossed for some "average" or better precip in the next few months, and we'll be fishin' fine, with no super-high runoff to delay the start of the season, and enough water in the fall for the solitude season.

If anyone is waiting for that 100 percent of average season, don't hold your breath. Water in the west, feast or famine.
countr21 and mattneeds like this.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:00 PM

Location: live in the south, but have a second home in Durango Co. Hope to be there full time some day!
troutcomegetit is on a distinguished road

Looks like I'm itching to get on the water. Just called the guys at Animas Valley Anglers (actually Will's mobile) to get a feel for the conditions in souther Colorado and the San Juan. He is optimistic, (fishing guides would never exaggerate!) he feels like they are about average. While on the phone he tried to check to see if the new report was out, but the government site was down. I'll try to click it later.

He did say it dumped a wet snow last night with more on the way. He also mentioned southwest Colorado gets most of their moisture in March and April. Man am I ready for a little fishing.

Last edited by mcnerney; 03-09-2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Removed URL to Fly Shop