The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 09:46 AM

cowger10 will become famous soon enoughcowger10 will become famous soon enough
Default Loop connection

Just curious I like to use the loop to loop connection I have tried the Chinese finger trap connections and they don't work very well on my 3 and 4 wts. I was wondering what would work the best. Maybe some mono with a loop on the end?
Old 02-28-2013, 09:50 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Loop connection

Are you talking about from the end of your fly line to the leader butt?

If so, I nail knot a piece of Amnesia (or you could you Mono, if you like) to the end of the flyline. I put a perfection loop on the other end. I usually make it about 2-3" long.

I don't use tapered leaders. The furled leaders already have loops on the end, so it's an easy connection.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

What doesn't work for you?

Are they slipping off? Do you use the heat shrink tube that usually comes with the kit?

If so, I have found that a nail knotted piece of 6lb mono and a dab of superglue works much much better.

Also, make sure that you are using the correct size...a Rio braided loop - size large - won't work well on smaller lines but a small size will
Guest1 likes this.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Same as Axle.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:23 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I generally use the braided floating loops on my 3wt. depending on your flyline's finish they can slip. I have gotten into the habit of putting a drop of thin Zap-a-gap just in front of the heat shrink tube. One other method is to very lightly rough-up the tip of the flyline where it will be covered by the woven loop. I have heard of people using fingnail polish remover to "tack-up" the fly line before installing the woven loop....but have not tried it.

Now, I buy only flylines with the factory loop on them for all my lines under 7wt.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:37 AM

cowger10 will become famous soon enoughcowger10 will become famous soon enough

They keep slipping on me. I am going to try mono with a perfection loop and some super glue. Thanks for the suggestions. I did not know that the rubber thing was to be heat shrunk.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:12 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Honestly, I don't know that I'd do the Super Glue. It MAY not have a good reaction with the fly line. I use a different adhesive which is a bit more flexible. The real idea is to seal the end of the fly line and work it into the nail knot.

I've done this on every size up to my 10wt. I use the Amnesia because it's bright red and works as a good indicator. OH, and I use 20lb on everything except the 10wt...it gets 30lb. of Mono.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:53 PM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowger10 View Post
They keep slipping on me. I am going to try mono with a perfection loop and some super glue. Thanks for the suggestions. I did not know that the rubber thing was to be heat shrunk.
there are a few different types, the ones with the shrink tubes work better for me, the other type you need to add some sort of sealant or the connections will fail

i like em both when properly fastened

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 02-28-2013, 01:05 PM

alexs will become famous soon enough

This is what I use:
No-Knot Fly Line to Leader Connection (per Cognard)
I use fine sandpaper to rough up the leader part that gets inserted in the line, at the same time creating a cone/point to help with inserting it in the hole. Once I finish, I'll give it an hour and that yank it a couple times really good. It failed on me only once, at home, while testing. It never failed on the water.
I have used this procedure down to DT0 line.

Hope it helps,
Alex
Old 02-28-2013, 01:40 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowger10 View Post
If they are slipping off, you need to whip finish the end of the mono loop with tying thread and then coat the braided mono loop connector with Pliobond. It won't slip off.

I don't use the braided loop connectors. I use a nail knotted Cortland Amnesia .020"

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexs View Post
This is what I use:
No-Knot Fly Line to Leader Connection (per Cognard)
I use fine sandpaper to rough up the leader part that gets inserted in the line, at the same time creating a cone/point to help with inserting it in the hole. Once I finish, I'll give it an hour and that yank it a couple times really good. It failed on me only once, at home, while testing. It never failed on the water.
I have used this procedure down to DT0 line.

Hope it helps,
Alex
This is a variation of Dave Whitlock's method.

http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/pond.asp?page=4

I have found a problem with this method and wonder if it has happened to you.

I have found the mono stiffens the end of the fly line and you will eventually break down the fly line where the inserted mono ends. The stiff butt of the inserted mono causes hinging during the cast.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy