The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 07:06 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Did You Know...?

They tipped their hand with the cruelty accusation. That is who they really are. Realistically, I think most non-sportsmen, while mystified by the sport, still regard it in a good light. It's just that the others are so vocal about it.

I was fly fishing from my kayak at Rickett's Glen State Park and overheard a conversation about me carrying across the water between a man and a woman who clearly were not fishers of any sort, and the comment the woman made was something along the lines of, "That is so beautiful, it's like a dance." That memory is one I carry with me.

There is more beauty in the world than ugliness, it's just not as loud.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:08 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Last December I was called a "California Tree Hugger" for fly fishing an offshore wreck on the Florida coast in 12fow...
Despite catching many mackerel, and taking some to eat. The guy was just offended seeing a fly-rod in action at 'his' wreck.

Last summer, carp fishing a flat near a bike path in Boulder, CO, I overheard a father tell his kid "he's fishing, he's a fish murderer."
If only he had been in casting range... Would have loved to bounce a lead eye off his head.

On another fishing website I frequent, some of the bait crowd claims that fly anglers kill too many fish by practicing C&R (gotta love the logic).

Fly fishing carries with it that air of being an art form, something elevated above, ie to do something more difficult than necessary. Some people just can't handle it!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:11 PM

lacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nice

An older friend, when told that SWMBO and I had taken up fly fishing, allowed as how he regrets not taking it up. It may be too late: he's just had a stroke. But if it isn't, I think this summer would be a fine time to take him out to a local river.

I think we're generally perceived in a positive light.

Bob
Old 02-28-2013, 10:19 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

If someone went off like that on me, he's be swimmin' with the fishes for sure. The second someone disrespects me, the whole "Minnesota Nice" thing goes out the window.

However, I think most people perceive fly anglers as good sportsman. Most people that I encounter just flat out enjoy watching it. It seems that every time I fish one of the local State Parks, I end up with people watching me with awe. It becomes even more so when they see me fishing for species other than trout. But I've never once had someone tell me personally that fly fisherman are poor sportsmen or anything crazy like that.

If I had to guess, most of the "bad vibes" towards fly fisherman come from landowners who have had property damaged or have had their lands trespassed on. However, lumping a whole group into the "poor sportsmen" category because of a few idiots just isn't fair.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:41 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Had it been any other day, I might have thrown "river nice" right out the window, and not have taken to the high ground so quickly. But, I'd made a promise to the elderly gentleman just beyond the mid-river seams from me of "one last, good day" astream, a day on which to end our season together, and ultimately, a life spent well. It was a promise that I fully intended to keep...

Looking back on it now, I'm glad that I did. I have to believe that we fly-wranglers are perceived far differently than the slander coming out of the mouths of the floating nimrods last Fall. We do things that others seldom see, due in part because we don't feel the need to post a sign calling attention to it. Be it river improvements, stream clean-ups, giving an assist to a new fly fisherman, or merely stepping out of the way to let a canoe pass, most of us hold ourselves to a set of "rules of conduct" that said nimrods will never fully understand. And, for them, it's really too bad...

Thankfully, the rhetoric of the morning was dwarfed by the events of the day. The wading was an easy pace, fish were caught and released, and the day was salted with its share of short pulls on an old flask while sitting riverside and enjoying a well-packed bowl. A day for the books, if there ever was one.

Tomorrow, I take delivery of what I'm told are some rather large boxes from my late friend. All I know is that his grandson said they were to be given to me, and that the boxes are labeled "fishin' stuff." Full circle, I guess...

Last edited by hairwing530; 03-01-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:38 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
A couple of observations: I challenge anyone to walk a stream that is open to all and then walk a fly-fishing-only stream and compare the amount of litter on each stream.
And my observation has been that in most instances fly fishermen care more about the total experience and less about the kill count than non-fly fishermen.
If those observations lend in any way to my having a superiority complex, then so be it.
I am very new at this and have been out actually fly fishing only on a dozen or so occasions. I went to my first fly-fishing-only/catch-and-release stream this past October. And I can attest, to the things you said. There was not ONE speck of any sort of litter. And this is a heavily fished area (Dunbar Creek in SW PA).

Every guy I met (there were only four that day) were extremely helpful in every way. And I did notice they all were doing more than fishing. They all pointed out little things like the way that tree grew/fell, a bird in that tree, how the water swirls as it flows by that rock over there and where the trout would be lying.

For some reason, the whole experience is better when you fly fish. I don't know if it forces you to become more attuned to your surroundings or if it give you a chance to look.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:56 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

busbus,

I'm of the opinion that the reality is that fly fishing is a little of both, especially in the case of a wading fly fisherman. Even today, decades after his death, I still practice what my grandfather taught me about how best to approach a new/old section of river. I find a place to sit just back from the river's edge, and then I watch...

Watching for a good fish working a certain hold or rising on a regular basis settles me into the place. It may take an hour, or it may take 15 minutes. Still, the stalk doesn't start until the watching is finished, and I'm satisfied with the "lay of the land... er, water," so to speak.

A longtime friend likes to refer to this stage of the "river dance" between fish and fisherman as "trout hunting." And, he just may be right! If you've ever watched a heron stand and study a pool, then you know what I mean. Herons are great "trout hunters," and a good indicator of the available fish.

That said, I wish that Spring would move up its arrival here in northern Michigan! I'm tired of snow...
jsquires and busbus like this.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:01 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Should have "accidentally" pushed their canoes into the water.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:28 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you! You are a better man than me. I wouldn't waste my breath to answer!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-01-2013, 03:34 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

In two words: PETA people.
theboz likes this.