The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 03:39 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Did You Know...?

theboz... Have you ever had one of those days when there's no fuse left to light, so you fire off a verbal volley instead? Well, that was one of those days!! After waiting for them to run out of breath-- a courtesy they didn't deserve --I dragged out my floating "soap box" and launched into my own long-winded dissertation on who and why we are, and what it is we do, exactly, for the resources. Do I believe that my explanation made any difference. Probably not... But, one can always hope!

My "best guess" is that they pushed my button, and I felt both an obligation and a compulsion to set the record straight. And, I'd do it again in a heartbeat, just on the hopes that something I said might sink in during the rest of their trip downstream. A mind can only be changed if it's presented with overwhelming evidence that runs contrary to its initial perceptions, no matter how skewed their views might truly be... Jerry, aka hairwing530
theboz likes this.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:48 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jerry ,like you I'm also Scottish,Irish,it doesn't matter where you go there's always someone who think they are rightous & no-one else can do The Right Thing.
I like you would have pointed out they were very lucky as there are Places where they aren't allowed near The Water let alone come ashore on Private Property(A little Bluff sometimes helps) especially where they weren't wanted & to Bag Inocent People who were minding their own business.
Brian.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:27 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

What is it about the Irish genes? I caught my stepson talking to my wife about how he has always been amazed at how I go from calm to ballistic in a second - no in between. His theory is that's why I'm not afraid of the bears, that the bears can sense the Irish gene and they leave me alone and I'm aware of that. I think I'll let him keep thinking that and not tell him about the part where I'm always the last guy to fall asleep because I'm hearing all the noises out there.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:33 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
What is it about the Irish genes? I caught my stepson talking to my wife about how he has always been amazed at how I go from calm to ballistic in a second - no in between. His theory is that's why I'm not afraid of the bears, that the bears can sense the Irish gene and they leave me alone and I'm aware of that. I think I'll let him keep thinking that and not tell him about the part where I'm always the last guy to fall asleep because I'm hearing all the noises out there.
Irish descent is great when it comes to men. Most of my closest ftiends are of the persuasion and they are the best. Then we have the female element . Not the same! Enough said!
jsquires likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I had that happen once. That's how I got my canoes.

Just kidding.
theboz likes this.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:29 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

If you've never been, and you're of the Scot/Irish/English heritages, a prolonged trip to the countries of Great Britain, Scotland and Ireland is an absolute "must" for your bucket list. I did it years ago because I was able to make it into something of a "working(?)" vacation. For me, it was money spent well, as I was able to connect with many of my "across the pond" kin.

Each country had its own particular charm, and alloting two months for the visit allowed me to investigate them all properly. The shops in many of the London districts were amazing, as were the historical aspects of the city and the country as a whole. Even the driven-bird shoots and the sporting life in general were fascinating to compare with our own opportunities.

After a few weeks there with cousins, I headed north to Scotland, hoping to learn more about the Clan Kincaid and their/my history. What I found was a sense of belonging amidst the Highlands and the Lowlands of the country, and the sweeping vistas, one that carried over when I arrived in Ireland, a country so green that it defies any attempt to verbally describe it.

I think that the bottom line about the "Scot or Irish" aspect of our backgrounds is that one had to be of "good stock" to survive and prosper in each. Northern England, a great deal of Scotland and much of Ireland are not for the faint of heart. There are a variety of areas that one would call "rugged," and I believe that the men and women of each country had to be up to the task of handling those challenges, just to survive. Therein lies the magic of calling Scotland, Ireland or England our ancestral homes...

As for my grandmother's Polish heritage? I doubt that I'll be making the "Romania to Poland" swing anytime soon. Too many mountains for my now aging exterior to contend with! And, knowing me, I'd want to walk as many trails as I could. A little like life, in many instances... Wouldn't you agree?? Jerry, aka hairwing530