The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 02:40 PM

sloth is on a distinguished road
Default How to select fly line?

Hello all,
I am new to fly fishing (6 months or so). I have noticed that the first 5 ft or so of the line that came with my rod/reel combo is starting to sink. This has made mending and overall drifting difficult. I need new line. I dont want to break the bank, being a college student im on a tight budget. I have a 9' 5/6 Ross rod and reel. 1st Q is what weight line to get? 2nd is color?Ii know I want WF, F, but other than that I have no idea. I fish in streams and rivers in central and eastern MT. Trout is what I seek. Are their any brands to stay away from. Cabelas/BPS has some for cheep compared to other brands but am i wasting money just to buy more next season?

Thanks for any info
Brent
Old 03-01-2013, 03:09 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How to select fly line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth View Post
Hello all,
I am new to fly fishing (6 months or so). I have noticed that the first 5 ft or so of the line that came with my rod/reel combo is starting to sink. This has made mending and overall drifting difficult. I need new line. I dont want to break the bank, being a college student im on a tight budget. I have a 9' 5/6 Ross rod and reel. 1st Q is what weight line to get? 2nd is color?Ii know I want WF, F, but other than that I have no idea. I fish in streams and rivers in central and eastern MT. Trout is what I seek. Are their any brands to stay away from. Cabelas/BPS has some for cheep compared to other brands but am i wasting money just to buy more next season?

Thanks for any info
Brent
If you have a 5/6 rod and want a WF line then you should get a WF6F. Typically those dual ratings on rods mean the lighter rating is recommended for a DT and the heavier for a WF.

Color is really a matter of preference. Beginners and people who fish in more turbulent rivers often prefer a bright color such as orange, yellow or chartreuse for visibility. Some more advanced anglers prefer drab earth tones on the theory that they are less likely to spook skittish fish. Jim Teeny makes a line that Gary Lafontaine designed for dry fly fishing and shallow nymphing, for example, that is a dark olive drab. (The reality is that if you're fishing with a 9' leader and cast carefully you can probably keep the line out of the fish's line of sight anyway -- but you might still spook the other fish you never saw.)

To avoid the worn-out tip that absorbs water and sinks, look for a newer model line with a welded front loop and a high-flotation tip. Most of the major brands make one. The "Rise" house brand from Hook & Hackle Co. might be a good choice if you're on a budget.

New! - Hook & Hackle "Rise" Fly Line-Hook & Hackle
Old 03-01-2013, 03:14 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

Your fly line should last longer than 6 mos. Especially this time of year when I assume you haven't been out every day. Try cleaning your fly line with mild soap and warm water. Gently. rinse and dry. You can also "treat" it with a little bit of fly floatant (Gink, etc) if necessary. I sometimes clean/treat mine with Ray Bergman's fly floatant formula consisting of a mix of paraffin wax and lighter fluid. You can google that one.

If you do need a new line for some reason, you usually get what you pay for. Buy what your budget allows. Color doesn't really matter, but I like pale ones like peach or light green. If you have a 5/6 rod, you generally would want a WF-6 line for that. However, that matching the line number to the rod number is not always the best match. Its a good starting point though, and works for most rods. Some rods work better with one weight heavier line. If you like the line weight you have now, stay with it.

Make it a habit to clean and dry your line at home every few trips, or every few weeks if you're going regularly. It will last much longer and float better.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:38 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I also recommend cleaning the line and using Scientific Anglers Fly Line Treatment or another treatment.

As to what weight of line, I agree with the 6 weight.

As to color, all fly lines are seen against the background of the sky or vegetation when they are being cast. When the line is floating, fish see the underside of the line against a brighter sky. So they see a silhouette of the line and perhaps a bit if the color.

I personally like the green color of Cortland 444SL Classic fly line. My rule of thumb is that a fly line should be no brighter than a shirt you would wear when fishing for picky trout.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-01-2013, 06:01 PM

sloth is on a distinguished road

thanks for the helpful info. now i understand what all that extra stuff means. ill try cleaning the line first.
thanks again,
Brent
Old 03-02-2013, 12:46 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Though not really cheap but far from being the most expensive you might look into SA Headstart or Rio Mainstream lines. If I were in your shoes I might tend towards the Headstart because it has a great coating that has proven itself over the years. For less money SA has a Lefty Kreh Signature or floating in the Pro series without the AST coating.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:54 AM

philsummers21 is on a distinguished road

You can get the rio gold on ebay right now for $50