The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 08:58 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Float tube thoughts

All that's really necessary are waders, fins and a pump. Everything else can be handy or fun but you don't need any of it to get started.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:24 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Get a tube with inflatable seat/back rest. Most of these will keep you mostly out of the water. Some, like the Super FatCat, will keep you completely out of the water. This is good when the water temps are lower than 70 degrees, trust me.

Waders (under most circumstances hip waders will do), decent fins (I've had both Force Fins, and Omega Fins, both are over $150), you will appreciate good fins when it gets windy. If you don't get either of those fins, you may want to invest in some kind of retaining device for your fins. These can be pretty cheap, or you can do-it-yourself with a couple lengths of paracord. Also, be very wary of windspeeds over 20 MPH if you go cheap. Tubes can behave like beach balls on the water.

You can get a Coleman rechargeable air pump for around $25, which comes with adapters which will fit your tube. Mine last about three seasons.

That's pretty much it on the "Needs" side of things. Here's a few options.

Some people use rod holders, I just got a few large Gear Ties and created my own.

I have a Fish Cat Deluxe which comes with four air bladders, so I don't bother with a PFD (plus I usually have a Sea to Summit HD dry sack for things like lunch, wading jacket, fleece, etc. thrown behind the seat. Thing floats like a champ). I have tested the floatability of my tube by only inflating one of the seat cushions and laying on top of it in a pool. I remained afloat for thirty minutes before I got bored. However, if your tube only has a couple air bladders I would consider a PFD, or if it just makes you feel better.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 03-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
I have an air mattress pump for camping. I'll check it out. This might just call for some Red Green Duct tape engineering!
I'm sure it'll work. Especially after the duct tape treatment. I miss Red Green by the way. One of the greatest shows ever.

Keep your stick on the ice!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:34 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

If you get waders for the float tube, you have to be careful what flippers you buy. If you buy boot foot waders, you must get some form of step in fins. If you buy stocking waders, you should seriously consider buying something to put over the stocking feet. The neoprene foot material will chafe against the flippers and can degrade over time. A good solution is to get an oversized pair of scuba booties. They are basically an additional pair of neoprene stockings. A much cheaper option is to just slip on a thick pair of tube socks over the wader feet. With the last two options, you will be able to use conventional flippers or non step-in flippers.

A good waterproof pack may also be a good idea. I have a Orvis Gale Force bag that is waterproof and I keep it behind the seat in my tube. Other than that, I would just make sure you have a pump and a net. I keep my net clipped to one of the D rings on my tube and let it float around in the water. You would think that its easier to land fish in the tube, and often times it is, but sometimes they like to swim around just beyond how far you can lean and if you have a longer rod it can be cumbersome to get them close enough to lip.