Float tube thoughts

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Here's the scoop. I've got $150 in bass pro gif cards and thought about a float tube. I would be using this on small lakes and ponds in Kansas. I have a life vest but nothing else as far as accessories.

What else do I need to consider?

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Fins. Waders if you don't already for when the water cools down. I have an anchor but you don't really need it. I have it for a specific thing. Still you may think of a reason to get one. An air pump that runs on the 12 volt system of your vehicle so you don't pass out trying to blow it up. A leash for your rod so if you go all butterfingers you don't need to breakout the scuba gear to get it back. Maybe a rod holder. Waterproof boxes/bags for your misc. stuff you may want to haul around with you. I have a portable fishfinder that comes in handy sometimes. There's a lot of things that you may want. Joni and Mojo use stuff like this a lot, so hopefully they will jump in and help also.

rubberguy

Reaction score
Diver Dan beat me to it !!

you'll also need fins. force fins are excellent but also around $125.00
i had an old caddis float tube that had a strap between your legs holding up the front of the seating area. if they still have this, look for one with some type of padding on it, so it won't rub the crotch of your waders. storage? fly rod holder? backrest? ease of inflating? weight? maybe a small anchor for brezzy days? be safe and have a blast. :fishing:

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Not likely. If you had the adapter to do it maybe. The fastest way is a shop vac. Put the hose on the exhaust and it will blow it up in about 12 seconds. It will do an air mattress in under 20 seconds. :thumbsupu

The pump I have for mine has the adapter to fit the inlet on my tubes and my air mattress. I can make the adapters work on my shop vac. It works so well and so fast it is actually fun. Not fun enough to do when I'm bored.... but close. :rolleyes:

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Not likely. If you had the adapter to do it maybe. The fastest way is a shop vac. Put the hose on the exhaust and it will blow it up in about 12 seconds. It will do an air mattress in under 20 seconds. :thumbsupu

The pump I have for mine has the adapter to fit the inlet on my tubes and my air mattress. I can make the adapters work on my shop vac. It works so well and so fast it is actually fun. Not fun enough to do when I'm bored.... but close. :rolleyes:
Gotcha! I have an air mattress pump for camping. I'll check it out. This might just call for some Red Green Duct tape engineering!

I've been toying with the idea of how to spend those gift cards and this is looking better and better. I'd been leaning towards a .22 pistol for plinking. Then I got to kibbitzing with my father about little camping/fishing/traveling adventures we've taken over the years, some together, some alone as I got sent out for ministry/pastoral duties.

The fun and good memory in those is a lot more than any target practice I've done. This thing could set me up for some cool adventure.

webrx

Reaction score
Just be careful, once you float tube you'll never go back :)

I have a cumberland, love it, use it all the time, from ice out to ice in, just gotta dress warm, with merino wool socks over some poly socks.

I used my boats abouts 6 times last year, used my float tube just about every other weekend.

Dave

moucheur2003

Reaction score
All that's really necessary are waders, fins and a pump. Everything else can be handy or fun but you don't need any of it to get started.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Get a tube with inflatable seat/back rest. Most of these will keep you mostly out of the water. Some, like the Super FatCat, will keep you completely out of the water. This is good when the water temps are lower than 70 degrees, trust me.

Waders (under most circumstances hip waders will do), decent fins (I've had both Force Fins, and Omega Fins, both are over $150), you will appreciate good fins when it gets windy. If you don't get either of those fins, you may want to invest in some kind of retaining device for your fins. These can be pretty cheap, or you can do-it-yourself with a couple lengths of paracord. Also, be very wary of windspeeds over 20 MPH if you go cheap. Tubes can behave like beach balls on the water.

You can get a Coleman rechargeable air pump for around $25, which comes with adapters which will fit your tube. Mine last about three seasons.

That's pretty much it on the "Needs" side of things. Here's a few options.

Some people use rod holders, I just got a few large Gear Ties and created my own.

I have a Fish Cat Deluxe which comes with four air bladders, so I don't bother with a PFD (plus I usually have a Sea to Summit HD dry sack for things like lunch, wading jacket, fleece, etc. thrown behind the seat. Thing floats like a champ). I have tested the floatability of my tube by only inflating one of the seat cushions and laying on top of it in a pool. I remained afloat for thirty minutes before I got bored. However, if your tube only has a couple air bladders I would consider a PFD, or if it just makes you feel better.

Peace.

nick k

Reaction score
If you get waders for the float tube, you have to be careful what flippers you buy. If you buy boot foot waders, you must get some form of step in fins. If you buy stocking waders, you should seriously consider buying something to put over the stocking feet. The neoprene foot material will chafe against the flippers and can degrade over time. A good solution is to get an oversized pair of scuba booties. They are basically an additional pair of neoprene stockings. A much cheaper option is to just slip on a thick pair of tube socks over the wader feet. With the last two options, you will be able to use conventional flippers or non step-in flippers.

A good waterproof pack may also be a good idea. I have a Orvis Gale Force bag that is waterproof and I keep it behind the seat in my tube. Other than that, I would just make sure you have a pump and a net. I keep my net clipped to one of the D rings on my tube and let it float around in the water. You would think that its easier to land fish in the tube, and often times it is, but sometimes they like to swim around just beyond how far you can lean and if you have a longer rod it can be cumbersome to get them close enough to lip.