The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 06:41 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Float tube thoughts

Here's the scoop. I've got $150 in bass pro gif cards and thought about a float tube. I would be using this on small lakes and ponds in Kansas. I have a life vest but nothing else as far as accessories.

What else do I need to consider?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Float tube thoughts

Fins. Waders if you don't already for when the water cools down. I have an anchor but you don't really need it. I have it for a specific thing. Still you may think of a reason to get one. An air pump that runs on the 12 volt system of your vehicle so you don't pass out trying to blow it up. A leash for your rod so if you go all butterfingers you don't need to breakout the scuba gear to get it back. Maybe a rod holder. Waterproof boxes/bags for your misc. stuff you may want to haul around with you. I have a portable fishfinder that comes in handy sometimes. There's a lot of things that you may want. Joni and Mojo use stuff like this a lot, so hopefully they will jump in and help also.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:26 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough

Diver Dan beat me to it !!

you'll also need fins. force fins are excellent but also around $125.00
i had an old caddis float tube that had a strap between your legs holding up the front of the seating area. if they still have this, look for one with some type of padding on it, so it won't rub the crotch of your waders. storage? fly rod holder? backrest? ease of inflating? weight? maybe a small anchor for brezzy days? be safe and have a blast.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:37 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

fins....diving fins.
and a sweet electric air pump

casey

ARFE
Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys!

The car I drive has a pump that you'd use to air up a tire in an emergency. Would that work?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Not likely. If you had the adapter to do it maybe. The fastest way is a shop vac. Put the hose on the exhaust and it will blow it up in about 12 seconds. It will do an air mattress in under 20 seconds.

The pump I have for mine has the adapter to fit the inlet on my tubes and my air mattress. I can make the adapters work on my shop vac. It works so well and so fast it is actually fun. Not fun enough to do when I'm bored.... but close.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:53 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

A sail would be nice.
tyler185 likes this.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Not likely. If you had the adapter to do it maybe. The fastest way is a shop vac. Put the hose on the exhaust and it will blow it up in about 12 seconds. It will do an air mattress in under 20 seconds.

The pump I have for mine has the adapter to fit the inlet on my tubes and my air mattress. I can make the adapters work on my shop vac. It works so well and so fast it is actually fun. Not fun enough to do when I'm bored.... but close.
Gotcha! I have an air mattress pump for camping. I'll check it out. This might just call for some Red Green Duct tape engineering!

I've been toying with the idea of how to spend those gift cards and this is looking better and better. I'd been leaning towards a .22 pistol for plinking. Then I got to kibbitzing with my father about little camping/fishing/traveling adventures we've taken over the years, some together, some alone as I got sent out for ministry/pastoral duties.

The fun and good memory in those is a lot more than any target practice I've done. This thing could set me up for some cool adventure.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:09 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
A sail would be nice.
I use an umbrella in my kayak
Old 03-05-2013, 07:57 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Just be careful, once you float tube you'll never go back

I have a cumberland, love it, use it all the time, from ice out to ice in, just gotta dress warm, with merino wool socks over some poly socks.

I used my boats abouts 6 times last year, used my float tube just about every other weekend.

Dave

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.