The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Flyfishing adventures--a shameless boast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/312345-flyfishing-adventures-shameless-boast.html)

Flyfisher for men 03-02-2013 09:23 AM

Flyfishing adventures--a shameless boast

Here's the overall goal--fish every county in my home state of Kansas (at least the ones that have public water). I've been sort of working on it--I'm a priest and get sent out to different places for ministry. I work in fishing as I can.

As my thread on float tubes indicates, I'm thinking of buying one. A float tube opens up all kinds of little lakes and ponds.

I'm also in graduate school (History, Kansas State) and need to do some research this summer. I perfected a good scheme last summer--find a campground near an archives, research in the day, fish the evenings. I'm thinking of hitting some local archives on one trip. A day or two researching in each place and a chance to explore some new waters in each location. (Not to mention being able to put the gas, food, and camp fees on the education budget rather than my own!)

Rip Tide 03-02-2013 10:36 AM

Re: Flyfishing adventures--a shameless boast

Sounds like a plan... good luck !

mcnerney 03-02-2013 10:47 AM

Yes indeed, sounds like a great plan to combine some research and still get in a little fishing and explore new water. Good luck!

fichy 03-02-2013 10:51 AM

Float tubes are an excellent, extremely portable way to explore new waters.
If you have a vehicle that fits them already inflated- better yet. Just don't leave them to heat up inside the vehicle in the summer- they'll expand and may pop! They'll do the same thing with an increase in altitude- Kansas kind of eliminates that.:D Have fun. Bet ya some good size bass are in your future.

Charlie

Guest1 03-02-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fichy (Post 532465)
an increase in altitude- Kansas kind of eliminates that.:D

Pretty much. Kansas was the inspiration for the pool table wasn't it?

Sounds like a fun goal. It might be a lot more easily achieved than we would think. There are a lot of counties that don't look like they have any water bigger than than a horse trough in them. You have a few spots where you could knock off more than one county at a time. Cheney Lake has the meeting of three county lines in the South end of the lake. Looking at Google Earth I discovered you have a Minneapolis also. Ours is bigger, but I'll bet I would like yours better.

Flyfisher for men 03-02-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diver Dan (Post 532489)
Pretty much. Kansas was the inspiration for the pool table wasn't it?

I discovered you have a Minneapolis also. Ours is bigger, but I'll bet I would like yours better.

I think it was.:D Though eastern kansas is hilly.

Right now, our Minneapolis is likely buried in snow. They were expected to get 26" in our last storm here. We got about 8".

mcnerney 03-02-2013 02:56 PM

We haven't had snow in so long I can't recall the last good storm. All the recent storms are going around Pinedale, WY. Talked with my son who lives near Greeley, CO and they got a nice 6" storm last week. I still have my fingers crossed that we get some good snow in March.

fly_guy12955 03-02-2013 07:19 PM

Father, just make sure your measuring tape always speaks honestly ! (you know what problems Jesus had at times with that one fisherman, Peter ?) LOL

Good to have you aboard , Padre !

Michael

williamhj 03-02-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 (Post 532571)
Father, just make sure your measuring tape always speaks honestly !

Yes, when you report on the fish remember Proverbs 11:1 :)

Flyfisher for men 03-03-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamhj (Post 532600)
Yes, when you report on the fish remember Proverbs 11:1 :)

:D

I wonder if Jonah paid attention to that.:)