The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 09:23 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Flyfishing adventures--a shameless boast

Here's the overall goal--fish every county in my home state of Kansas (at least the ones that have public water). I've been sort of working on it--I'm a priest and get sent out to different places for ministry. I work in fishing as I can.

As my thread on float tubes indicates, I'm thinking of buying one. A float tube opens up all kinds of little lakes and ponds.

I'm also in graduate school (History, Kansas State) and need to do some research this summer. I perfected a good scheme last summer--find a campground near an archives, research in the day, fish the evenings. I'm thinking of hitting some local archives on one trip. A day or two researching in each place and a chance to explore some new waters in each location. (Not to mention being able to put the gas, food, and camp fees on the education budget rather than my own!)
Old 03-02-2013, 10:36 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flyfishing adventures--a shameless boast

Sounds like a plan... good luck !
Old 03-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yes indeed, sounds like a great plan to combine some research and still get in a little fishing and explore new water. Good luck!

Old 03-02-2013, 10:51 AM

fichy will become famous soon enough

Float tubes are an excellent, extremely portable way to explore new waters.
If you have a vehicle that fits them already inflated- better yet. Just don't leave them to heat up inside the vehicle in the summer- they'll expand and may pop! They'll do the same thing with an increase in altitude- Kansas kind of eliminates that. Have fun. Bet ya some good size bass are in your future.

Charlie
Old 03-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fichy View Post
an increase in altitude- Kansas kind of eliminates that.
Pretty much. Kansas was the inspiration for the pool table wasn't it?

Sounds like a fun goal. It might be a lot more easily achieved than we would think. There are a lot of counties that don't look like they have any water bigger than than a horse trough in them. You have a few spots where you could knock off more than one county at a time. Cheney Lake has the meeting of three county lines in the South end of the lake. Looking at Google Earth I discovered you have a Minneapolis also. Ours is bigger, but I'll bet I would like yours better.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:42 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Pretty much. Kansas was the inspiration for the pool table wasn't it?

I discovered you have a Minneapolis also. Ours is bigger, but I'll bet I would like yours better.
I think it was. Though eastern kansas is hilly.

Right now, our Minneapolis is likely buried in snow. They were expected to get 26" in our last storm here. We got about 8".
Old 03-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't had snow in so long I can't recall the last good storm. All the recent storms are going around Pinedale, WY. Talked with my son who lives near Greeley, CO and they got a nice 6" storm last week. I still have my fingers crossed that we get some good snow in March.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:19 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Father, just make sure your measuring tape always speaks honestly ! (you know what problems Jesus had at times with that one fisherman, Peter ?) LOL

Good to have you aboard , Padre !

Michael
Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
Father, just make sure your measuring tape always speaks honestly !
Yes, when you report on the fish remember Proverbs 11:1
Old 03-03-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Yes, when you report on the fish remember Proverbs 11:1

I wonder if Jonah paid attention to that.
williamhj likes this.