Loop to Loop (Fly Line to Leader)

mnbassfisher

Reaction score
I am new to the fly fishing sport. I have a 5wt and a 3wt. I put Rio Mainstream on them both (WF5F and DT3F) and neither of them had a loop at the end of the fly line. I was told that's the easiest way to change and connect leaders so the guys at my local fly shop whipped a loop on the end of my fly line for me. If the fly line didn't have a loop it sounded like this was my only option unless I had some tools (which I don't). I'm curious as to what the appropriate length of the added mono loop should be. They nail knotted on some amnesia line and then ended it with a perfection loop. One of those is 2-3" and the other one is closer to 10-12". The longer one doesn't seem to cast well on my 3wt, so what are your preferences??

aggieoutlaw

Reaction score
Just nail knot the leader directly to the fly line and cut both tails very short and at a tapered angle. It's much more streamlined and allows the junction to pass through the guides smoothly. I don't like loop-to-loop connections and have never lost a fish (or an underwater log for that matter) to a nail knot.

hi tide

Reaction score
Here's some videos to help.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp9CEiMiREE]Fly Line Loop for line to Leader - Whipped Loop - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFluzChZSlo]Creating a Whipped Loop - Fly Fishing Tip - YouTube[/ame]

Hope this helps!

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I have always used braided loop connectors. They transfer power to the leader more smoothly than a whipped mono loop, I think. I have only had a problem one time (in 20+ years of fishing), when the braided loop slipped right off the end of my flyline while I was playing a fish. After that I have made sure to attach them not only with the little plastic sleeve they come supplied with, but also with Pliobond or another flexible adhesive.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I like the braided loop connectors. Work good. I did have a couple come off grass casting because they don't do good being pulled backwards through grass, but I have never had one come off fighting a fish or casting. I did a mono knot around the end of the one I grass cast now so problem solved.

mnbassfisher

Reaction score
Here's some videos to help.Hope this helps!
I watched both of these videos actually and I really like the look of how they come out, but I don't have a bobbin or any other common fly tying materials/tools.

I will have to try nail knotting the leader directly to my fly line as well as give the braided loops a try and see which of them I prefer. Thanks for the tips guys.

troutnut4

Reaction score
At my age I am all thumbs so I prefer to use the RIO Gold or RIO Grand trout lines. I like the loop to loop connection at both ends and especially at the leader connection. It is alot easier IMHO to change leaders on the water than fooling with knots. Just works for me. I checked the RIO site out and see one reason for using the "Mainstream" line... price. I have used the braided system and like that as well a long as you put a drop of glue on the braid.:punk:

Different strokes for different folks.:D

nick k

Reaction score
You could always buy those loop connector things that attach to the end of the fly line. They work like little Chinese finger traps. Granted they aren't super rock solid, but I doubt it would be an issue on a 3wt.

I ran into the same issue with some of my fly lines. I had the guy at the store make me a loop. He did so by looping the end of the fly line and tying it back against the rest of the fly line with what I believe to be nail knots.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure its a small loop. Its a real pain to pull a big loop through the guides.