The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 09:54 PM

mnbassfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Loop to Loop (Fly Line to Leader)

I am new to the fly fishing sport. I have a 5wt and a 3wt. I put Rio Mainstream on them both (WF5F and DT3F) and neither of them had a loop at the end of the fly line. I was told that's the easiest way to change and connect leaders so the guys at my local fly shop whipped a loop on the end of my fly line for me. If the fly line didn't have a loop it sounded like this was my only option unless I had some tools (which I don't). I'm curious as to what the appropriate length of the added mono loop should be. They nail knotted on some amnesia line and then ended it with a perfection loop. One of those is 2-3" and the other one is closer to 10-12". The longer one doesn't seem to cast well on my 3wt, so what are your preferences??
Old 03-03-2013, 10:09 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Loop to Loop (Fly Line to Leader)

Just nail knot the leader directly to the fly line and cut both tails very short and at a tapered angle. It's much more streamlined and allows the junction to pass through the guides smoothly. I don't like loop-to-loop connections and have never lost a fish (or an underwater log for that matter) to a nail knot.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:24 PM

hi tide is on a distinguished road

Here's some videos to help.

Hope this helps!
rubberguy likes this.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I have always used braided loop connectors. They transfer power to the leader more smoothly than a whipped mono loop, I think. I have only had a problem one time (in 20+ years of fishing), when the braided loop slipped right off the end of my flyline while I was playing a fish. After that I have made sure to attach them not only with the little plastic sleeve they come supplied with, but also with Pliobond or another flexible adhesive.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:31 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

I do about 3-4" of mono with a nail not and perfection loop like you mentioned one of your setups has.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the braided loop connectors. Work good. I did have a couple come off grass casting because they don't do good being pulled backwards through grass, but I have never had one come off fighting a fish or casting. I did a mono knot around the end of the one I grass cast now so problem solved.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:00 AM

roofish is on a distinguished road

I have 7 setups & some have nail knots & some have braided loops. Not sure which 1 I prefer?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:20 AM

mnbassfisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi tide View Post
Here's some videos to help.Hope this helps!
I watched both of these videos actually and I really like the look of how they come out, but I don't have a bobbin or any other common fly tying materials/tools.

I will have to try nail knotting the leader directly to my fly line as well as give the braided loops a try and see which of them I prefer. Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:39 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

At my age I am all thumbs so I prefer to use the RIO Gold or RIO Grand trout lines. I like the loop to loop connection at both ends and especially at the leader connection. It is alot easier IMHO to change leaders on the water than fooling with knots. Just works for me. I checked the RIO site out and see one reason for using the "Mainstream" line... price. I have used the braided system and like that as well a long as you put a drop of glue on the braid.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:41 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

My preference is for loop to loop. So much easier to change leaders, especially during a fishing session