The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 08:33 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Leader Lengths

my general rule of thumb, that i learned a long time ago, is the leader should be the length if your rod plus a foot.
i use furled leaders now so this is easily adjustable for different conditions.

casey

ARFE
Old 03-06-2013, 09:08 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
3x tippet for bass?

If I were tying a tapered leader for bass (or any warm water species) I'd probably do a 20 > 15 > 8 pound mono (0.11 diameter = 0x) or even 10-12 pound mono.

3x tippet works to about 0.08 dia = 4 pound test. This is FAR smaller than is necessary for this target. I definitely take your word for it and I'm sure you've had plenty of success with it, but have you considered increasing your tippet size just to experiment? Shoot, I'll fish 8-10 pound mono along all kinds of snags on the bottom without worry .

The abrasion resistance you get going from 4x to 3x is nothing compared to what you'd get going from 3x to 8-10 pound mono!
Not trying to be a knob or anything, this is meant as constructive criticism, please use it in the manner that its intended.

To you it might be a small detail, but for someone who worked with small details its not. You need to learn to write decimals correctly.

0.11 is almost a 1/8 of an inch, 1/8(.125) of inch, that's some heavy stuff fit for anything that swims! I'm thinking you mean .011, lot of difference in those 2 numbers.
0.08 is over 3/64 (.078)of an inch, 1/16 of an inch is .062. Again, I'm thinking you mean .008.
your always off by one decimal place, I'm pretty sure, as I can't read your mind to be positive.
It's hard to swing others with your arguments when your math is off an acre of a**holes!
And one more thing, 3x is approx. 8lb test.
Thank you for reading my points.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:47 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
0.11 is almost a 1/8 of an inch, 1/8(.125) of inch, that's some heavy stuff fit for anything that swims! I'm thinking you mean .011, lot of difference in those 2 numbers.
0.08 is over 3/64 (.078)of an inch, 1/16 of an inch is .062. Again, I'm thinking you mean .008.
your always off by one decimal place, I'm pretty sure, as I can't read your mind to be positive.
It's hard to swing others with your arguments when your math is off an acre of a**holes!
And one more thing, 3x is approx. 8lb test.
Thank you for reading my points.
I just checked my pack and yes, you are correct! My bad.

3x is usually 0.008 dia, which works out to usually 4 pound test mono diameter, though my maxima 4 pound is actually 0.007.

What they print on the box might be "3x - 8 pound test" because they're (over)-estimating its breaking strength to be 8 pounds. My experience is that regular mono is the same in this regard, as the 4 pound test maxima breaks much higher than 4 pounds, and I've measured the 8 pound test to break at 11-12 pounds.

I recently read some huge summary of the common tippet spool "breaking strength" claims and the results were pretty much the same -- all of them print a higher breaking strength than what they claim on the packaging.

My choice is to use regular mono that I've used for years and am comfortable with, but it's just a preference thing.

Semantics
Old 03-07-2013, 04:59 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
My choice is to use regular mono
That's pretty much all I use. Almost entirely ANDE Tournament. For a couple of pound tests though I use other stuff. Silver thread and Maxima. Mostly just ANDE.