The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 09:57 AM

peterjay is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wolly Buggers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
Buggers are perhaps the most versatile fly ever made.
I agree 100%. Buggers will take virtually any species of game fish, fresh water or salt. By altering the type of hackle, shape, size, weight and color, they can represent more forage species than any fly ever designed. Worms, baitfish, crustaceans, insects, you name it. The woolly bugger is the one style of fly I absolutely can't do without. And to top it all off, they're an inexpensive and easy tie.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:25 AM

jor fly is on a distinguished road

Lets not forget the bow river variation on the bugger. I tied up some of these this past winter and caught my first trout of the year on an olive body/red marabou bow river bugger...IN JANUARY! water was freezing but so worth it!)
Old 04-30-2013, 12:47 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor fly View Post
Lets not forget the bow river variation on the bugger. I tied up some of these this past winter and caught my first trout of the year on an olive body/red marabou bow river bugger...IN JANUARY! water was freezing but so worth it!)

Well.....what's the "bow river variation"?

I mean, normally I practice a Vulcan Mind Meld, but since the Aliens abducted me,
my mental factulties are slightly...diminished. ER....let's see here..... olive body, red marabou?
Well that's "Christmassy" ain't it?

Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Business Member

South Holston will become famous soon enough

They will catch anything that swims.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
Well.....what's the "bow river variation"?

I mean, normally I practice a Vulcan Mind Meld, but since the Aliens abducted me,
my mental factulties are slightly...diminished. ER....let's see here..... olive body, red marabou?
Well that's "Christmassy" ain't it?

Imagine a bugger body with a deer hair head like a muddler. Moves alot of water when its stripped, and can almost be fished like a popper if you tie it without weight. I prefer to weight it and fish it shallow with fast strip/pause actions.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Just a bugger story.

A few years back, I tied up a bunch of tarpon flies for a friend who was headed to the Campeche region of Mexico. Just for fun, I tied up a tan Woolly Buggers on size 2/0 Trey Combes saltwater hook. When my friend got back from the trip, he told me that the bugger did better on the juvenile tarpon than any of his specialty tarpon flies. He was so bummed that it got so beat up, that it was no longer fishable.

Dennis
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:17 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Gavin, if you want to know more about buggers, pick up a copy of the book "Woolly Wisdom" by Gary Soucie. It's a pattern book chock full of flies, all based on the Woolly Worm/Bugger. Excellent resource for patterns regardless of fish species you might be chasing.
brucerducer likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:21 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechem View Post
Woah, white? Or do you mean black and white, olive and white, etc?
Never tried a solid-white bugger, but I've seen them. Anybody tried them for trout?
I have had quite a bit of success fishing a white bugger. swing em, strip em down stream, or dead drift em, it works. I have fished in places where the discharge pipes in hatcheries let out. yes i will admit this is 'cheating' if you will, but when the fish aren't taking anything this always works. ill dead drift a solid white bugger, even with bit of red flash, to imitate fish flesh that has gotten caught up in the pipes. this is similar to the famed shad kill in the white river system where the shad get sucked up into the dam and get chopped up and the fish feed on their flesh. this is obviously unnatural and it is avoided by some people but it catches fish.

this can also of course imitate a bait fish. solid white works ok, but i really like a bugger with white marabou and white hackle with black chenille.
I caught this one on swung bugger. he moved 8 feet down the stream for the fly!

Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:09 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
I have had quite a bit of success fishing a white bugger. swing em, strip em down stream, or dead drift em, it works. I have fished in places where the discharge pipes in hatcheries let out. yes i will admit this is 'cheating' if you will, but when the fish aren't taking anything this always works. ill dead drift a solid white bugger, even with bit of red flash, to imitate fish flesh that has gotten caught up in the pipes. this is similar to the famed shad kill in the white river system where the shad get sucked up into the dam and get chopped up and the fish feed on their flesh. this is obviously unnatural and it is avoided by some people but it catches fish.

this can also of course imitate a bait fish. solid white works ok, but i really like a bugger with white marabou and white hackle with black chenille.
I caught this one on swung bugger. he moved 8 feet down the stream for the fly!
Nice fish. Nice pic too.
I could see that working. Certainly a Y2K works at outfalls like that.
Thanks. I was wondering what a white wooly might imitate!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:34 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

a lite brite white zonker or white bugger is a really good fly around here. good imitation of a chub or shiner.