The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 03:35 PM

indieangler is on a distinguished road
Default Loop Fly Rods - 8'2" #2?

I'm an American citizen living over in the UK. I recently got my year performance bonus and plan on blowing some of it on some new fly fishing gear. I currently own several mid-range, lower end Sage and G. Loomis rods, but nothing outside of the $250-$300 price range. I get to fish much less since I live over here now. I'm still fairly new to fly fishing in general, maybe almost considered an intermediate fisher.

I'm considering picking up a Loop Opti Creek 8'2" #2 with runs about £350 (almost $700 USD) over here in the UK and a nice Hardy #2 reel to match. Loop is actually a Swedish brand I believe, but I've never touched any of their rods.

I was wondering if anyone had ever fished this rod, or any of the Loop Opti rod series and had any advice on whether it's worth the money or off I'm better off elsewhere. They look stunningly beautiful in the catalogs. Secondly, I'm wondering how practical an 8'2" #2 rod is really going to be. I enjoy fishing lighter rods and never have a desire to reservoir fish. I prefer medium sized streams and like a good fight. I'm just wondering if this rod actually might be too light to handle medium sized trout streams or not. I'm just trying to justify spending this money on the rod really, but any advice on this greatly appreciated.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:50 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Loop Fly Rods - 8'2" #2?

Wait for others to comment before putting 700 on a 2wt 8'...whilst I am salt by preference 8 through 12 wt...my trout fishing days a long time ago were mainly michigan, and Pa..I used 6 wt and cannot imagine a 2wt anywhere and certainly not an 8 footer...now if I had all the other weights covered and I was going to fish a mini creek for native brookies 5"-7" yes maybe a 2 wt but only 6' to 7' and only if I had 5,6,7, and 8 wts covered in high end rods first.

At 700 you have choices in Sage, Winston etal high end rods
Old 01-22-2008, 04:02 PM

That's really the true problem I face. I own a:

Hardy Sirrus 8' #4
Sage FLi 8'6" #5
G. Loomis GL3 9' #6

I really don't have anything heavier than a #6 covered. My original plan was to just buy an Orvis Western 2 9'6 #7, to get a little more length and little more weight in my arsenal, which might not be a bad idea. But once I saw this Loop Opti Creek rod that I want, I can't quit thinking about it, regardless of how much non-sense it might be. I'll wait for other thoughts, thanks for your opinion!
Old 01-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Loop is indeed swedish and is to some degree the "Sage" of northern europe. A 2wt is useful as a small stream trout rod, but pretty much only for dries and emergers. A similar 3wt would be much more useful.

That said, I think the long 7 or an 8 would be a better buy. Would be ideal for light use in the salt as well as pike and such.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the input BigCliff! Everyone so far is probably right.....I think I'll pickup a 9'6" #7 instead of this Loop rod, regardless of how pretty it is. I'm considering the Orvis Western2, anyone have thoughts here? I'm thinking maybe this model is only a UK model for Orvis, but maybe that's not right. The price is good for about 150 GBP and it got really got reviews. However, it appears to be designed for reservoir fishing instead of river fishing according to the detailed information. I'm not sure if that's just because of the rod action or what, but I do almost all stream/river fishing. Any thoughts here?

For a reel I'm looking at pairing whatever rod I get with an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor Big Game Reel that takes 7-9 weight line. Any thoughts on this particular reel or my entire situation still? Thanks guys!
Old 01-22-2008, 05:19 PM

Er, or maybe one of the other slightly cheaper and slightly smaller Battenkill reel models.

I'm open to rod suggestion ideas too, if anyone has any. Keeping in mind I'm in the UK and have a slightly different selection over here but all of the major brands.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi indieangler,

I have never seen a Loop rod and have no idea how good the rods are. Loop makes some very good reels so I would expect good quality in their rods. I would not want an 8' 2wt. It has to be a noodle at that length. If you just have to have one I think the 8'8" 3wt would be a better choice but still too long. The reel seat is built like I would expect on a saltwater rod. Very nice machining though. I am surprised that the cork in the handle is not better matched. I would consider the 2wt to be strictly a dry fly rod.

If it was me I would be on a search for some of the Hardy reels that were made in England. There are American made rods I would rather have than the Loop rod. I would not buy any of these rods unless I cast it first.

You might consider a Gatti rod if you can find one. They are made in Italy but should be in England. Again, I would want to cast one.

Frank

Loop Opti Rod
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Found a review of the 9' 7wt Field Test - Loop Opti Power 7 weight - Fish and Fly - fly fishing news, fly fishing instruction and fly fishing video

and one from Greys, Greys G-tec 9’ 6” #7 Rod - Fish and Fly - fly fishing news, fly fishing instruction and fly fishing video I know they are a big player in the UK tackle market

ps. That's a GREAT magazine. I buy it as often as I can find it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:31 AM

FoulHooked is on a distinguished road

i mainly fish a 3 wt, and often throw "heavier" flies including big nymphs, weighted streamers, terrestrials and multi-fly rigs. granted, there is a better tool for some applications, but it does my just fine in most situations. i dont see why a 2wt has to have so many restrictions. as far as length, it will help you make up for lost casting power and mending ability that goes with downsizing. it might even be especially helpful if you do fish small streams where extra reach could help with specialty casts and reaching pocket water, but that also depends on your style.

if you learn how to use it right, light and ultralight tackle can actually help bring in a fish more easily. here's a site by a guy who fishes almost exclusively UL tackle for pretty big fish: Ultralight fly fishing for most warmwater, coldwater, plus some saltwater species -- with Bill Byrd

that said, it's up to you and the experience you want to have. as far as diversifying you rods, i would think stepping up to an 8wt rather than a 7 would get you more bang for your buck...there probably isn't much that a 7 could do that the 6 or the 8 couldnt. personally, i'd rather have the extra upper limit of the 8 than the fine-tuning of 4-7. again, just my opinion.

basically...don't taken anyone else's opinion too seriously...get your hands on one if you can (or something comparable) to try out, and go with what you like.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:52 AM

Hrm, tough choices here. Grey's definitely makes some nice rods over here but the majority of their rods are dual weight like 7/8 instead of just one or the other and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I guess if I'm not fishing heavy stuff very often, maybe it would be reasonable to get a 9'6" 7/8 instead of just a #7 and an #8 down the road, I'm not sure really. Decisions, decisions. Anyone have thoughts on those mid-range Orvis Battenkill reels in general? I wanted to buy a decent rod/reel for this weight that's not a junker but I know I won't be fishing this outfit too often as I prefer a little smaller.

Hardy makes some really pretty stuff over here. I have a Hardy Sirrus 8' #4 that I love and have a Grey's Streamlite reel on it, it looks very lovely and fishes well.