The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 05:21 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Anglers Roost rods

Does anyone have any experience with anglers roost rods? Some of their prices for rods are extremely cheap. For example, they have some speys for $89. Can anyone comment as to the quality in relation to the price?
Old 03-06-2013, 07:55 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Re: Anglers Roost rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Does anyone have any experience with anglers roost rods? Some of their prices for rods are extremely cheap. For example, they have some speys for $89. Can anyone comment as to the quality in relation to the price?
I built a 2wt on one of their Chalkstream Light blanks, and I love it. LOVE it.

I can't really speak to their other rods' quality, but the Chalkstream Light is my go to ultralight stick.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I purchased an 8ft, 2pc 5wt bamboo from a gentleman who built it on an Angler's Roost Blank. I've only lawn casted it, but I like it. A bit on the heavy side, but I can deal with that.

I've been told by others on other forums that they are not real good, but I say fish what you can fish. If it works for you and the price was right, so what?

Last edited by axle27; 03-07-2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-07-2013, 08:17 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Remembered this review of his spey rod blanks, thought it might help.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:20 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I've got a 6.5' 4 weight Anglers's Roost that is a sweet small stream rod. I got it on a whim a couple of years ago for $60 or $70. I think it's called "The Fairy". Nothing fancy as far as hardware and finish goes, and there was no rod tube included at that price, but the action is quite pleasant, comparable to the old 6.5' 4 wt graphite Orvis Flea.

Sometime after I bought mine he started selling a 6.5' rod rated for a 2/3 weight as "The Fairy". I don't know whether that one uses a different blank or he just changed the line rating on it. Anyway, I still like mine with a WF4.

I don't know if that helps you decide about a spey rod, though.