The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Searching for a stolen Winston IM6 9' 6wt

sorry your rod was stolen...already got good advice...if you can't get infos on the seller...why don't you buy a little item from him...you may get his address...then go to the police.Two can play at the game
Old 03-07-2013, 03:09 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
...why don't you buy a little item from him...you may get his address...then go to the police.Two can play at the game
JP, I am a bigger fan of yours yet again. Genius! That gets my vote for post of the day.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:11 AM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

Kyle, I hope you get it back. For the rest of us, could you please tell us what part of SLC this happened in, and whether it was broken into or unlocked? Also, you said stolen from your "trunk". To me, that means an invisible compartment in the back of a car (I'm old, from when big cars had trunks!) Anyway, was it visible, and did they break in?

I only ask so that we may learn. I commonly have a rod tube or two in the back seat of my 4-dr. pickup. I try to keep them hidden underneath my dog mats, but sometimes they're visible or in the front seat with reels and fly boxes.

Sometimes I'm complacent about concealing things in the truck from scumbags. Your story makes me think twice.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:16 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't do it for a couple of reasons. Theft, and heat. In the winter when it's cold it may be OK, heat wise, but I sure wouldn't do it in the summer.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:32 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

I like JP's advice.

It's getting pretty bad when you need to install a fire prroof gun safe in the trunk of a car to keep scum from stealing your gear. I think the scum target cars at fishing locations banking on the fishermen being from out of town.

Pete

I'll supply the rope if you have the tree.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

I'd contact the ebay seller through ebay (Contact Seller) and explain what happened.

If he doesn't want to hear about it, I'd start leaving negative feedback for him on ebay - probably daily. That may get his attention.

I hate stories like this. I suppose this means I better stop leaving rods and reels in the open bed of my truck.

On a lighter note, there's a photography writer who recommends carrying lenses and camera bodies in diaper bags. People rarely steal those. You could even write 'Clean' on one bag, and 'Dirty' on the other.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

How do you know that one on eBay was yours? The serial number?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:51 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Where is SLK? Sorry about your rod, these small cowards are lurking everywhere. Had a Hardy Cascapedia taken by one of those gutless wonders...Still hurts.

Dave
Old 03-07-2013, 07:54 AM

fichy will become famous soon enough

Here's a thought- Since the seller knew that it was a rare rod and made a point to show the serial numbers clearly, he may have got it from another party and thought it legitimate. I'd be hesitant to screw the seller until all the details are known. As bad as it's been, I'm glad you've tracked it this far. Looks good to get it back. I'd be interested to know what part of the country you're from- not that common to see trunks popped open.

Charlie
Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

JP's idea is great.

Dave