The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 08:33 AM

xkgeorgex is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Searching for a stolen Winston IM6 9' 6wt

Thanks everybody. Not sure when or where it was stolen in SLC. I hadn't been out for a few weeks and didn't notice until I tried to go fishing yesterday.

We're good about locking our cars and there wasn't any sign of forced entry so who knows where. We live on the East Bench, so a good neighborhood, but my wife is a student and parks the car on campus regularly.

Definitely my rod, the serial # is a match plus there are recognizable dings. My name is painted on the side by Winston, which wasn't shown in the ebay listing so the guy has at least a little common sense. Pretty sure it's the theif since my waders sold 4 days ago from the same seller. Looking at the guys feedback its mostly small items like sunglasses and ipods.

Buyer of the rod hasn't left feedback yet and ebay won't disclose winning bidders. Not really looking to contact the seller until trying the recommended route through the police dept and ebay.

I don't know how stoked I'd be if I was the winning bidder. It certainly isn't in excellent condition. It's been fished a ton for 15+ years, fell off the top of my truck at 40mph and just seen lots of general use.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Not sure why you'd hesitate to contact the seller....not to destroy his business, but to give him a chance to do the right thing. If he's legit he'll be as angry as you. If he's not, then he needs outing to protect the rest of us.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Not sure why you'd hesitate to contact the seller....not to destroy his business, but to give him a chance to do the right thing. If he's legit he'll be as angry as you. If he's not, then he needs outing to protect the rest of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkgeorgex View Post
Pretty sure it's the theif since my waders sold 4 days ago from the same seller. Looking at the guys feedback its mostly small items like sunglasses and ipods.
The fact he was selling the rod and waders both so fast says he's the thief to me. Did you contact your police?

And if he is the thief, giving him a courtesy "Here's your chance to vanish" call is a bad idea. I'd let the cops determine that.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:21 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
The fact he was selling the rod and waders both so fast says he's the thief to me. Did you contact your police?

And if he is the thief, giving him a courtesy "Here's your chance to vanish" call is a bad idea. I'd let the cops determine that.
Maybe you're right, Dan...I'm sure surprised Ebay isn't more supportive of a victim in a case like this. Seems like they would have a group assigned to monitor and react to situations like this to protect their own rep if nothing else. Bad business all around.
Guest1 and rubberguy like this.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:00 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Yes. Agreed.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:05 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

I got this from the ebay site:

Here's some information that might help

We don't allow stolen property to be sold on eBay. It’s against the law and against eBay policies to sell stolen property.

If you believe that an item on eBay may be a stolen item, please:

1. Get the item number and the seller's user ID.
2. Inform your local police and ask them to get in touch with us. You can find local law enforcement officers on the USACops website.
3. Tell the officers to email us at stopfraud@ebay.com

Please note that we can only investigate such a serious allegation if it comes from the police.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:28 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

First, sorry for the stolen rod, hope it makes it's way back to you and the "person" who took it ends up before the law. Second, welcome to the forum. As sad as it is there is a river/town in the southern sierra where those looking for drug money are driving up and down the river road looking for vehicles of fishermen so they can break in and steal their equipment.

Just a note out there to others to be sure your equipment is not in plain view when leaving your vehicles parked. I try to stay in view as much as possible now, if I can. just got my ccw and will make an arrest of my own if I catch anyone breaking in.

Craig
Old 03-07-2013, 01:59 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
The fact he was selling the rod and waders both so fast says he's the thief to me.
Dan sorry to pick on you but there were a lot of the same posts and I disagree. Here is what goes through my mind.

The guy sold your waders and rod, so what? It could be a guy from a Pawn Shop? A guy from Craigslist that thought he was getting a great deal and decided to make a quick buck.

There are a lot of low lifers out there and will do anything to make a quick buck. The seller might be a legitimate business or a good guy.

I wouldn’t go into it so hot headed, I know you are ticked off, and this is when you make mistakes. Contact the police as stated by eBay and get them to contact eBay. The PD will get to the bottom of it, and determine if the guy is a thief or not. I would leave that portion up to them, I know it sucks but its the most you can do without making a mistake and alerting the seller. He can just simply disappear and shut down his account and you are SOL.

Good luck and just remain calm, I know its hard but patiance is a virtue and hopefully it gets resolved. The most you have to lose right now is nothing, you have lost it already and I would just focus on the fact that you have found it. Most of the stolen stuff never gets to see the light of day, and usually thief’s aren’t this dumb to go straight to eBay. I would give the seller the benefit of the doubt and let the PD deal with him.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:04 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post
just got my ccw and will make an arrest of my own if I catch anyone breaking in.
I know that sounds tempting, but I urge you in all sincerity not to try it.

If what you say is correct, if drug users are the ones responsible in your area, then you never know what you'll be up against.

I've carried a handgun for 45 years. It's for my and my family's protection. It's not for my fishing gear's protection.

I'd use it in a second to protect myself or anyone I cared about. But not for several hundred dollars worth of fishing gear.

When I was in the Air Force I had a genuinely tough guy as an unarmed combat instructor. He always said, "Your most useful weapons are your feet. Placed one in front of the other, quickly and repeatedly, they will get you out of most trouble."
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1move View Post
Dan sorry to pick on you but there were a lot of the same posts and I disagree. Here is what goes through my mind.

The guy sold your waders and rod, so what? It could be a guy from a Pawn Shop? A guy from Craigslist that thought he was getting a great deal and decided to make a quick buck.
Actually I said I'd let the police determine what happened, but the odds of this being the second person in the line of possesion after the theft are pretty much zero. I'd say the odds are less than 1%. Again, you have the length of the auction, the waders AND the rod being sold by the same guy. The time frame for it being stolen. It would have had to go like this foir your idea to be a half way valid one.

The theft. Immediate sale to the pawn shop not letting it cool down so to speak. A secondary guy finding BOTH almost immediately and thinking I am going to buy these and flip them.

Now tell me, do you really think that is a plausable thing.... at all? Even if it were and I doubt it highly, as I said, I would let the police determine that.

Quote:
The fact he was selling the rod and waders both so fast says he's the thief to me. .........I'd let the cops determine that.