The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Today was a good day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattech89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney
Congrats, that looks like an awesome little stream with some beautiful fish!
Couldn't agree more!
Congrats!
I agree toothe kind of little stream I enjoy fishing
Old 03-08-2013, 03:40 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Sorry to keep bugging ya, but I have another quick question for you. Where were they? Plunge pools? Runs? Deep spots with current?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:57 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default Today was a good day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
Sorry to keep bugging ya, but I have another quick question for you. Where were they? Plunge pools? Runs? Deep spots with current?

Thanks!
Diamond dont be sorry at all this is what this forum is here for for others to help or give tips to other fly fishers! But to answer your question. In that stream they were in holes about 3 feet deep. And the holes were right after a run ( light rapids ) in te colder months I seem to find them in places like this more rather then in the middle of a run behind a rock or something. But It may depend on your stream. Te best thing to do is go on a bright sunny day and walk the edge of the river try to walk on higher ground and look the river. Make sure your wearing polarized glasses. You should be able to find the fish fairly quickly this way. But start looking in holes right after a run. Trout this time of year in the south are more prone to feed of the bottom and are more slow. This is why you won't likely find many fish in the middle of a run in the winter time.hope this helps you!

And to the fellas above it is my favorite too!! I'd much rather fish a stream I can see plum to bottom and spot the fish I wanna catch position myself to do so and reel him in! I'd much rather do that and get a 10 inch fish then fish a deep wide river and catch a 20 inch fish.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:14 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Thanks for the tips! I'm heading out to the creek now.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:28 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Good luck diamond and thanks for the post streamwalker. Looks a lot like our Virginia mtn runs. BTW VERY nice brookie you got there!

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 03-10-2013, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the pointers, I used heavy nymphs and looked for feeding stations below chutes and runs. It was a pretty good fishing trip.