Today was a good day.

streamwalker

Reaction score
Welp woke up today and just knew it was a good fishing day..had a hard debate on hitting a trout stream or fly fishing off the kayak. Ended up picking the stream and I'm glad I did! Hooked about 8 trout and a few rainbows and a few browns. Here's a few pictures of some fish and some scenery.

Last edited:

shimloom

Reaction score
Good choice! Nice fish, glad to see someone is getting out and catching fish. Nice pics, very cool spot!

Craig

diamond rush

Reaction score
Grats on the slam! :)

What were they biting on? I'm heading up to the headwaters above the Wilson DH this weekend and could definitely use some pointers.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Looks to me like you made a great choice. Hiking those mountain streams is a wonderful thing in of itself, let alone being able to fish them and have a productive day. Nice write up, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

streamwalker

Reaction score
thanks again guys for the kind comments! jay your right just hiking the strams and scouting for the fish is a great deal of pleasure!

and diamond i used a salmon egg to catch all of the fish.. right now in the cold water not many will hit topwater. if i were you i would go with just about any egg or even a san juan worm and fish it on the bottom. biggest thing is finding the fish first then letting your fly drift right across their nose!

diamond rush

Reaction score
Sorry to keep bugging ya, but I have another quick question for you. Where were they? Plunge pools? Runs? Deep spots with current?

Thanks!

streamwalker

Reaction score
Sorry to keep bugging ya, but I have another quick question for you. Where were they? Plunge pools? Runs? Deep spots with current?

Thanks!
Diamond dont be sorry at all this is what this forum is here for for others to help or give tips to other fly fishers! But to answer your question. In that stream they were in holes about 3 feet deep. And the holes were right after a run ( light rapids ) in te colder months I seem to find them in places like this more rather then in the middle of a run behind a rock or something. But It may depend on your stream. Te best thing to do is go on a bright sunny day and walk the edge of the river try to walk on higher ground and look the river. Make sure your wearing polarized glasses. You should be able to find the fish fairly quickly this way. But start looking in holes right after a run. Trout this time of year in the south are more prone to feed of the bottom and are more slow. This is why you won't likely find many fish in the middle of a run in the winter time.hope this helps you!

And to the fellas above it is my favorite too!! I'd much rather fish a stream I can see plum to bottom and spot the fish I wanna catch position myself to do so and reel him in! I'd much rather do that and get a 10 inch fish then fish a deep wide river and catch a 20 inch fish.