The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 11:56 AM

runningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nice
Default Re: 2013 8-Weight Challenge: What's the Best Saltwater Fly Reel?

Well, the review is kinda helpful, however, I was expecting a more even playing field.
E.g if you have Sage 1880 $139 to Sage 8080 $750, you should also include Orvis Access $179, the Ross LT $340 series, Nautilus FWX $340, and N/V and the Lamsons Velocity 3.5 $309 and Litespeed 3.5 $369 just to name a few.

"I can't comment on the Access, but the older generation of Orvis (Mid-Arbor, Large Arbor) were very weak in the drag department." Now, that is not being fair, is it? All the reels tested started with a clean sheet of paper right? Unless..........?

I suggest that you brake your next reel shootout down by pricing points. I said this because PRICE was in your first column before anything else. Right now you are basically comparing the $139 reels to $700 reels, that is like putting a light weight boxer vs a heavy weight boxer in the same ring.

Thank you for the hard work, this shootout helps me a lot in deciding my saltwater reels.
kwb likes this.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:17 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

What size hook do you plan on using to hold up to a 10-12 lb test at the reel for tarpon say?
kwb likes this.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:30 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

Trident, FYI, your Saltwater reel comparison is posted below in the Tackle Section under..Fly Reels, too. It is impossible to perform such a comparison without engendering substantial advise on what you might have done differently but allow me to say, congratulations. Comparisons of this kind always generate lively discussion on these Forums and many good points are raised in yours. Common forum threads here include draw-bar vs. sealed drags and the diversity of their designs, sweep areas, materials employed and how "sealed" are they; you address some of this without getting into the fine points of these designs and what their relative merits are. Another hot debate surrounds aspect ratio and you do a good job of discussing the issues surrounding wide/shallow spools though "points" fail to be assigned for the most fishable widths relative to capacity spool designs. Another critical design feature for many of us that fish flats especially is the fine-tunable and linear consistency of drag settings. Some reels disproportionately increase drag with a small rotation of the drag knob then level out while others are more predictable; important if you choose to change a setting during the fight: loosening as a shark surges toward you bonefish or tightening to forestall refuge in the mangroves for example. Describing type, linearity, minimum/maximum setting, knob design and detente spacing may be more relevant than how to use drag as many styles of applying pressure using drag in concert with hands and rod angle exist. Rim design may play into this and rigidity and construction quality are important too as are features like the salt /sand/marle resistance, lubrication and maintenance requirements, effectiveness of spool release and reel disassembley design...the more I write the more analytic categories are occurring to me. Never-the-less, this is a great first reel comparison test and we look forward to a new improved version for 5-weight trout reels next.
thewalker1013 and tridentfly like this.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:54 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Just a few things, first off, very in depth look at these fly reels and was interesting to see the data...

Just a few things I would like to see considered in the future...

1) Break the reviews down into different categories like price (low, mid and high categories), drag system (sealed, non-sealed, cork, carbon). At the end you can put them all together for a comparison of all of them, but also have them separate so people can see apples to apples comparisons so to speak...

2) Be sure to add all the big players in fly reels, you missed Nautilus, Galvan, Bauer, etc... I am sorry, but a review of this sort, missing out on those 3 brands, really takes away from it...

3) In the main comparison when you compare all reels, don't assign points for price, just compare the reels and their ability to function for their intended purpose. I also would leave the warranty cost out of the reviews, I don't care what any of these companies say about handling fees, if their reel fails due to a defect in their product, not a single one of them are going to make you pay that fee...

4) Regarding cork drags, try and use "broken in" reels, a new cork drag reel is always going to have higher start up inertia than a broken in one. They sure feel that way to me anyway...

Not trying to rain on your parade, but those are some things I would do if I was King, which luckily I am not, simply a fish bum...