The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 02:19 PM

baskfisher is on a distinguished road
Default First time buy and fly fisher! With a ?

hey guys and gals i am new to this sight and i wanted to stop and say hello and tell you all that your information has been helpful. With that said, I am needing more help from you.

I dont have any fly fishing gear what so ever. So my question to you guys is: If you had $200-$250 to get started fly fishing for trout, what would you buy?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-08-2013, 03:11 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice
Default Re: First time buy and fly fisher! With a ?

Hi Bask,
Welcome. There will be some questions coming your way. Where will you be fishing and what type of flies will you be using just to start?

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 03-08-2013, 03:17 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bask,

Welcome to the forum, good to have you aboard. I'd encourage you to use the search feature as I'm sure there are many discussions along these same lines. If you can fill out your profile and put your location in, you'll likely get some info from folks from your general region and or who have fished where you are.

This is worth your time to read though:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...t-fishing.html

I'd say at bare minimum, you'll need:

Rod/reel/line/leader/tippet
flies/box
waders/boots of some sort
Nippers/finger nail clippers

There are tons of other things you should consider adding and after reading the primer I referenced you can figure out what might be helpful. Do you have a local fly shop nearby that can help walk you through some of your options? If so, I'd encourage you to start there. A good relationship with your local shop is worth weight in gold.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:25 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

Get a cheap starter fly rod to begin with to see if you are going to even like it. Spend the rest of money on high wafer boots. Because I wouldn't waste your money on 100$ waders..wait till u can afford a $300 pair then buy them. Then buy flies pliers fly box floatat other misc tackle items like weights extra leaders and tippet some nippers that double as a hook eye cleaner. This will get u started and see if u even like it. Then upgrade your rod and reel and buy a set of waders. A nice set.

Also in my book polarized glasses are a must have. Cheap or expensive just get u a pair!
Old 03-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskfisher View Post
If you had $200-$250 to get started fly fishing for trout, what would you buy?
On that budget I would start by looking at some sort of discount source. Right now Albright is marked way way down. Sierra Trading Post is another great spot to look.

Best first rod in my opinion is a 9' 5 wt. rod. It will be a good Trout rod. Before somebody comes along and tries to talk you int a 4' 1 wt or something, stay away from them at least for now. Somedsy you may decide to get a small rod, but don't start smaller than a 9' 5 wt. rod.

Because of your budget constraints, I'd get a cheap pair of hip waders. Any decent pair of chest weaders are going to have you looking great in the water, without a rod to fish with. You can get a pair of Hodgman's for less than $50. Look at Sierra Trading Post. They are up to 80% off on stuff. Another spot to look is the closeouts at Madison River Fly shop on line. I have bought so much stuff from them in the last couple of years it's not funny.

So if you spent $50 for waders + Kept the rod under a $100 you would still have a $100 for fly line, backing and flies. Here's a link to a rod that might keep you in that budget; Cortland Beginner's Fly Fishing Combo - 2-Piece Rod with Reel, 5/6wt - Save 35%

I have to run right now, but when I get back I'll do some more looking.

Welcome to the forum.
Dan
jaybo41, dakotakid and yonder like this.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

first, welcome to the forum
in answer to your question, i would take a look at allen fly fishing.
great products, great company and a sponsor of this forum.
Allen Fly Fishing
contact them via email or with there chat option an i'm certain they'll set you up with something in your price range

casey

ARFE
Old 03-08-2013, 07:49 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Hi Bask,

Welcome to the forum, good to have you aboard. I'd encourage you to use the search feature as I'm sure there are many discussions along these same lines. If you can fill out your profile and put your location in, you'll likely get some info from folks from your general region and or who have fished where you are.

This is worth your time to read though:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...t-fishing.html

I'd say at bare minimum, you'll need:

Rod/reel/line/leader/tippet
flies/box
waders/boots of some sort
Nippers/finger nail clippers

There are tons of other things you should consider adding and after reading the primer I referenced you can figure out what might be helpful. Do you have a local fly shop nearby that can help walk you through some of your options? If so, I'd encourage you to start there. A good relationship with your local shop is worth weight in gold.
That's exactly right.
I would just add one other very important thing is a good attitude. When things get just a bit frustrating - and they will - take a look around and appreciate where you are.
biggie_robs likes this.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:56 PM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome. All good advice. My suggestion: take a casting lesson and don't rush in to buy the latest and greatest. There is alot of heavy marketing BS in this industry.Check your local fly shop and try before you buy. There's no need to blow a wad to enjoy this sport and the fish don't care what you have paid for your gear. If you stick with it, there is lots of time to upgrade. You just might turn into a "gear junky" like many of us that you will meet in this forum.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:57 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
Welcome. All good advice. My suggestion: take a casting lesson and don't rush in to buy the latest and greatest. There is alot of heavy marketing BS in this industry.Check your local fly shop and try before you buy. There's no need to blow a wad to enjoy this sport and the fish don't care what you have paid for your gear. If you stick with it, there is lots of time to upgrade. You just might turn into a "gear junky" like many of us that you will meet in this forum.
I'm a certified gear junky <<
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I think someone posted a thread about this topic not too long ago. Might be worth a search. Anyway, your basic needs are as follows:

Casting lessons
Rod
Reel
Line
Backing
Leaders
Tippet
Flies
Hemostats (or a pair of small needle nose pliers)
Nippers (I used my Swiss Army knife scissors for the first couple years)

Everything else fall under "Wants," rather than needs. Things like nets, waders, vests, etc.

Casting lessons: many fly shops and even big box stores (BPS, Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse) offer free lessons one Saturday a month. I can't recommend lessons strongly enough, as without them learning to cast will be a longer more frustrating process, and you can't flyfish without being able to cast.

Rod/reel/line/backing: There are several options, including the ones other posters already mentioned (all good options, by the way). The option I chose when I was starting out five years ago was a Cabela's Three Forks combo package (9 ft. 5 wt.), retailing for $69. That included rod, reel, line, and backing. I fished that combo for a couple years and caught at least a couple hundred fish on it before I upgraded. It's fast action rod, and IMO it's a pretty decent performer. I'm pretty sure that combo is still offered at the same price point.

Note: I did have a problem with the rod. After a couple outings, the butt cap came loose, and I had to glue it back in place with loctite. Never had a problem with it after that, but I have heard other people having the same issue. Something to keep in mind.

Bottom line, test cast as many options as possible before dropping your dough on any of them.

Leaders and tippet: You can learn to tie your own leaders, but if you're really on a tight budget, I'd just buy a three-pack of pre-looped knotless tapered leaders, probably 3x. As for tippet, when I started I couldn't see spending $8 on a 30 meter spool, so I bought a couple 100 yd. mono spools in 6lb. and 4 lb. for about the same $8. Just avoid colors, like blue Stren and you'll be fine.

Flies: of course, first you have to figure out what flies work on whatever water you're planning on fishing. Then I suggest you find those flies on a budget website and plan on at least a dozen of each pattern. My favorite right now is theflystop.com, decently tied flies for .55 to .60 cents apiece.

Remember also, that if you get addicted, you're going to end up like the rest of us. You'll find that there's always something else you want, and you'll call it a need. In my case, I have a couple 3 wts. but somehow I've decided that I 'need' to upgrade and get another one.

One last thing, I agree with a previous poster that it would be better to save up for a decent pair of waders when you get to that point. Unfortunately, a 'decent' pair will cost you about $200 minimum, so save your pennies now. Dan listed a couple great places to find discount gear, so I'll just add one more, redtruckflyfishing.com.

Hope that helps.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark