The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 01:59 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why we do it

peace and quite... it's the only place on earth where there is no bs... just fishing
shimloom and yonder like this.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:23 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
peace and quite... it's the only place on earth where there is no bs... just fishing
This exactly, no iPhone, ipad, laptop,customer service,Costco,traffic jams etc etc

Just pure 100% relaxation for me. The challenge of catching is great too but to go stand in the middle of a stream at 9,000 feet surrounded by wildlife and silence.....I feel it is adding years back on to my life
pszy22, shimloom, yonder and 1 others like this.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:24 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
peace and quiet
I can get that just being on the water. Some of the places I like to fish, are out of the way, and not even the bigger jon boats can get to them. Really doesn't matter if I'm using a fly rod or other tackle. In those places, I rarely see another angler, except for the Herons, Egrets & Ospreys.

I actually like the down & dirty fishing with flies. Some of you trout folks express thoughts of Utopia, which is fine if that's what you like. I developed an attitude a long time ago, that most anything I can do with other tackle, I can do with fly tackle, as long as it's of appropriate size. In my younger days I struggled with fly fishing for bass, because I didn't have the right equipment. I changed that!

I really like taking my 10 wt, and some big weedless flies & tossing them into some of the nastiest, snag infested waters I can get to in search of bass that may be there. I can do the same thing with a baitcaster, and still do, but where's the fun in not attempting something a bit more extreme. Most of the bass I've caught are average size, but there's a lot of satisfaction knowing I caught them with a fly rod, in places that might make an angler with a baitcaster cringe. That is my kind of fun! Solitude, quiet & peace are good too, but being alive means taking some chances!

I'm not going to be jumping out of airplanes or anything like that, so this is as extreme as I get!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 03-09-2013, 02:39 PM

socorrofly is on a distinguished road

I watched a couple of folks catching grayling, rainbow trout and silver salmon when I was a wee nipper in Alaska.

The idea of wire, feathers and fur to fish with proved to be irresistible still to this day. Takes us to beautiful locations and leaves lifetime memories. A real win, no worries!

lacanadio likes this.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:39 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Kickin' back in the canoe, fishin' for bluegill may be peace and quite.
But fishin' the surf is "extreme" fly fishing. Hold on to your potatoes !

Click the image to open in full size.
bigjim5589 and wt bash like this.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:42 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Almost thirty years ago, I was fishing a really crappy, clunky spin rod, chucking worms in a small reservoir outside Boise. One of the few times my new wife went with me. There was a blizzard hatch and the fish-trout, 'gills, crappie- were thrashing all over the surface as the bugs came off the water, landed on us and shed leaving us covered in white sheds and me completely fish-less. That was the first time I realized I was going to have to learn to fly fish and be able to fish on top.
Later, I really came to appreciate the freedom of wading with rod and vest and not having to carry a tackle box and bait.
By then I had a lot of my local water pretty well dialed with spin gear and bait. My family was pretty tired of eating trout and smoked whitefish. It's tough to C&R with bait and I liked being able to release fish alive and swimming.
shimloom likes this.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I started fly fishing 50 years ago, literally with a willow branch for a rod, with a fly tied up using a piece of kitchen sponge and some rubber bands. We had a summer cottage so I had easy access to the water. After a couple of years my folks bought me a real fly rod and reel, not very good quality compared to what's available today, but it's what I used for the next 10 years or so. Caught tons of bluegills and bass, but had a burning desire to fish running water for trout.

Once out on my own, focused on primarily on trout, still enjoy every one I catch. Over the past 30 years have bought and used a ton of great equipment and tackle. About three years ago I started fishing with a fixed-length line reel-less rod. I guess maybe it takes me back to where I started, I do know more often than not, I have a smile on my face whenever I'm out fishing. Have always enjoyed it, maybe enjoy it now just a little more.

The nice thing about fishing, it requires just enough concentration to take you mind off the cares of the world.
shimloom likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 03-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

What I wonder is....why do I still do it after so many years?
Haven't found the answer yetAs I've already told here I'm like a kid catching his first fish...and that's devilishly...good!
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:47 PM

Location: live in the south, but have a second home in Durango Co. Hope to be there full time some day!
troutcomegetit is on a distinguished road

That simple tug on the line...every time. Then to see the fish, no matter how big or small, swim home.
shimloom likes this.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:36 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Solitude.......nature......peace of mind.....the hatch......rising trout.....Soda Butte Creek....and the Gibbon Meadows.....spending quality time with my son and daughter....watching "rookies" catch that first trout on a fly.....BSing around the campfire at night after a good day's fishing.....recalling the past 40 years of trout, rods, and rivers.
shimloom and troutcomegetit like this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton