The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 06:27 PM

thechroniclesofmasi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why we do it

I'm 32, going on 33 with 3 young kids. I have loved fishing more than anything else ever since I can remember. ( Well except from late high school through college, I sold my boat and was preoccupied chasing another kind of tail.) Then about one month before Christmas I woke up and thought " I am going to start fly fishing!" I have held a passion for this sport for at least 25 years without ever even attempting it. Why? That is the question right?
..... Well, why not?

I look at it this way, it's either in you or not.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

I dont really have a choice. For some reason my brain says I have to think about it at all waking hours. I just kinda listen to it.
shimloom likes this.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 PM

lacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nice

I wish I'd started fly fishing in earnest earlier than last year. Regardless, there's nothing like it, for all the reasons already put forth. My wife got hooked (as it were), I think, when she caught a 16" brown on the Frying Pan as her first fish on fly gear. Later on the same trip she landed a 17" brown on the Lake Fork of the Gunnison. It's something we do together, pretty much in any weather - picture us fishing the San Juan in 30 degree weather over Christmas. And loving it...

Bob
shimloom likes this.

Last edited by lacanadio; 03-14-2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: d'oh. Lake Fork
Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

I grew up a bait caster, use my Zebco reel with Shakespeare rod catching bass, catfish, bream, and carp. One while day while watching a fishing channel they showed someone fly fishing. What drew me in was the way the fly line was being thrown about. At that moment I knew it was what I wanted to do, I haven't owned a bait cast set up since. After the initial feeling of finally fly fishing past I found myself drawn to something much deeper and powerful. That moment occurred when I hiking a few miles (no trails, just bush whacked) to a stream, no one around for miles, the sound of the flowing water, the current flowing around my waders, the sight of my cast flying and landing exactly as I wanted, watching the fly drift naturally over riffles. That experience just in itself has fueled this passion, or obsession, for fly fishing. Catching fish certainly helps too.
shimloom and yonder like this.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:24 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker19 View Post
I grew up a bait caster, use my Zebco reel with Shakespeare rod catching bass, catfish, bream, and carp. One while day while watching a fishing channel they showed someone fly fishing. What drew me in was the way the fly line was being thrown about. At that moment I knew it was what I wanted to do, I haven't owned a bait cast set up since. After the initial feeling of finally fly fishing past I found myself drawn to something much deeper and powerful. That moment occurred when I hiking a few miles (no trails, just bush whacked) to a stream, no one around for miles, the sound of the flowing water, the current flowing around my waders, the sight of my cast flying and landing exactly as I wanted, watching the fly drift naturally over riffles. That experience just in itself has fueled this passion, or obsession, for fly fishing. Catching fish certainly helps too.
True words of wisdom........

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Cause I suck at golf.
shimloom and yonder like this.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:01 AM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
True words of wisdom........
Thanks. I'm not sure if I would call it wisdom, I would just say its the reason I engulf myself in the "sport". I feel there is more of a emotional envolement and dynamic to fly fishing than there is bait casting. Thats not to say bait casters don't feel the same way, we all have this itch, just scratch it in different ways.
wt bash likes this.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:21 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

"That moment occurred when I hiking a few miles (no trails, just bush whacked) to a stream, no one around for miles, the sound of the flowing water, the current flowing around my waders, the sight of my cast flying and landing exactly as I wanted, watching the fly drift naturally over riffles. That experience just in itself has fueled this passion, or obsession, for fly fishing. Catching fish certainly helps too."---kicker19

This is the part of your post that I was referring to.......tech support, a.k.a. "my daughter"...is away at college, and I am having trouble with partial quoting a post. .... I own several bait casting and spinning outfits that I use at the coast...and I enjoy them......I just enjoy the solitude and the experience of blueline flyfishing alot more. I guess I share the same "itch"!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 03-14-2013, 09:45 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

For this

Click the image to open in full size.
wt bash, shimloom and yonder like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy