The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Why we do it (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/312993-why-we-do.html)

shimloom 03-08-2013 06:54 PM

Why we do it

I was sitting looking at all this fishing gear wondering what drew me to the sport and why I invest so much time and resources to this addiction. Would like to hear what drew you to this and keeps you going back every year.

Craig

waterfordcreek 03-08-2013 07:28 PM

Re: Why we do it

For me at first, It was just the challenge of catching a trout on a fly. Then it was how many can i catch in a trip.......

To me, now..its all about the experience. A great day is now fishing a secluded blueline in the Smokies...My most memorable trips are those with a few fish...but, i took the time to sit back and enjoy the beauty of these secluded mountain streams and mountains. Really take in my surroundings.....thats when i realized......I understand.

Jim

streamwalker 03-08-2013 07:41 PM

Why we do it

I must say just like Jim it's about the experience for me..first I just loved casting a fly rod then after a number of fish I started slowing down. By slowing down I mean instead of just walking right through the stream and casting at where I think fish are, I now climb the bank and take my time looking in the stream for fish. Once I spot one I see if its feeding on top or on bottom I then pick a fly climb down to the stream and attempt to catch it. Just being out their is the beautiful back country is part of why I do it..the rest well..I just explained it.

fly_guy12955 03-08-2013 07:41 PM

I got into fly fishing cause...........women find tired, hungry, wet, cold, smelly, pissed off fishermen totally irresistible....

raindogt 03-08-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 (Post 534736)
I got into fly fishing cause...........women find tired, hungry, wet, cold, smelly, pissed off fishermen totally irresistible....

So, that's what draws them all to me? Makes perfect sense, now. thanks

trout champ 03-08-2013 10:27 PM

The challenge of catching a fish on the fly got me started, then how many fish, then a big fish, then a specific fish that I would fish to.

Now it is my quite peaceful time away from it all.

Randy

Rip Tide 03-09-2013 06:23 AM

I like to be outdoors and fishing is as good an excuse as any to do that.
Fly fishing was never any kind greater challenge for me.
I'm not a convert, I've always fished with a fly rod.
For me it's just the way that it's done.

bigjim5589 03-09-2013 06:59 AM

I became interested in fly fishing as a kid, largely due to magazine articles written by the likes of Joe Brooks & AJ McClane. Flies & tying them was what peaked my interest. Being a kid it was something I thought I could do. That of course was long before the internet & all the hi-tech gadgets we now have. I've always liked fishing, something my father instilled in me, so progressing to fly fishing was another step. I continue to fly fish simply because I enjoy it.

Besides, it's still less expensive than fast cars, chasing women, gambling & booze, and my wife tolerates it. :rolleyes:

mikel 03-09-2013 10:19 AM

Hmmm...I've loved to fish since before I caught my 1st trout, which I remember well, in 1953...pautzkes egg and a solid glass rod, about 4 feet long. A few Ca guys know where Tunnel Creek comes into Shaver Lake and that was the spot. My little forked stick (rod rest) may still be there. :D Fishing/camping was the only time my dysfunctional family was at peace and I took that to heart.

Athletes talk about being "in the zone" and fly fishing let's me get into a personal space like that. There's only me, the water, the fish, the quest for the perfect drift...there's a rhythm and cadence to it that I find soothing. Hours pass without notice. Pain and fatigue, stress and concern all melt away in the total relaxed concentration that on rare occasions allows you to sense a hit just before it happens...because everything is perfect and the fish is there.

sorry....don't get me started. -Mike

lightline 03-09-2013 12:16 PM

The places it takes me. An activity to enjoy while in such places. The other activities associated with going to such places. And yes, I do like to see a fish in some clear water and then see if I can make it eat something it shouldn't, preferable rise to it. But really, I wouldn't do it in a dirty place, ugly, with too much noise or pollution, or literally in my back yard.