The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Guest1
  • 1 Post By Meatco1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 07:52 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Fly Line conditioner ?

After you fisher'persons clean your line,,,or do you use a conditioner on the line ?

Michael
Old 03-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Line conditioner ?

Most definetly. I have several I use. Most of the time I use STP Son of a Gun. Wipe the line clean with a wet paper towel till I stop getting crud off then shoot a little STP on a paper towel and run the line through a couple times getting it coated well. Fast easy works well.

I do the same thing with Glide line slick but you need to let it dry and buff the line. Lasts longer but takes longer to do.

SA line pad and slick system. I like it for SA lines because it's designed for thier coating. I use STP on SA lines pretty often also.

Deja vu.....
Old 03-10-2013, 08:31 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I just bought Rio Agent X, but I haven't used it yet. I like the Rio cleaning pads.

Randy
Old 03-10-2013, 12:22 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough

I've been using "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" dampened. Pulling my Rio Powerflex thru it a couple of times til it leaves no marks on pad. Then I run the line thru Mucilin a few times to coat it up. (haven't been able to find any Son Of A Gun yet.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberguy View Post
haven't been able to find any Son Of A Gun yet.
Auto parts store next to stuff like Armorall, which I will tell you right now don't use. It has a bad reaction to some fly lines and will ruin them. STP is safe, Armorall is not.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road

If the STP is a petroleum product, I would be leary of using it. If not, I might give it a try myself.

Respects,

Richard
Old 03-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Banned

It isn't. It's pretty well known as a line slick in the spey guys world. They call it El Slicko. I have used it exclusively on some lines for years and had zero problems.

I should also add that it is a UV protectant as well. An aspect I like.
Meatco1 and rubberguy like this.

Last edited by Guest1; 03-10-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:46 PM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Fly Line conditioner ?

Hey Diver Dan:

Good to know.

I'll buy a bottle of it today, and give it a try. Worst that can happen is, if I don't care for it, I can use it on the Jeep!!

Respects,

Richard
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:51 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

ZipCast... stuff is amazing... teamed up with an umpqua line dressing box and it's tough to beat combo
Old 03-10-2013, 10:10 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

If you have a premium line from the well known manufacturers you may not need lube juice at all like automotive stuff, kitchen products or even, gasp, line treatments made for fly lines by fly line manufacturers.
The slick coating of a good many modern lines goes all the way to the core. SA (3M) and Rio make line treating pads that remove a microscopic layer of coating and bring a fresh new finish to the surface. Being a dry surface it won't attract gunk and amplify the problem of getting your line dirty.
For real skanky lines mild bar soap (not detergent) then the pads mentioned above. For extremely funky lines all the above using the bar soap on a Magic Eraser and then your line treatment of choice.
For quick, on the water treatment the SA dressing works great. For a more durable and less wet yet VERY slick treatment it's hard to beat Rio Agent X or Glide. It does indeed take a bit more effort and time to do it right but it really works and lasts quite a while. What's that they say... "Good things take time?"
I have Zip Cast too but am less than impressed with it. It seems to come off as easily as it goes on and it cleans about the same as plain water in my tests. For all I know it could be just diluted Armorall rebottled. They are both water soluable from what I've witnessed.

I refuse to use anything on my fly lines that isn't made specifically for fly line material and the environment they're used in. I've yet to have a fly line develop surface cracks but have seen quite a few lines full of cracks on other folks reels.
If the cost of a real line dressing is an issue, you're probably in the wrong sport!

The 'search' feature on this site will lead you to a whole lot more posts on this subject.