The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 07:58 AM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default What to do when....

While out fishing yesterday I had an occurrence that left me scratching my head. I was nymphing a deep run. At the end if the drift I lifted my rod tip, and feeling no resistance began to pull in some line to cast back upstream to start another drift. It's at that moment I felt a fish take the nymph. It was a very soft take, and did not give a good hook set. Sure enough the first time the fish shook hard the hook came out. I was wondering if any of you veterans and could tell me what I did wrong and how better to handle a situation like that in the future.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do when....

As your nymph is ascending toward the surface it looks like a bug hatching to the trout, so at times the fish will feed on your nymph as it approaches the surface, although they will seem ignore the nymph as it tumbles along the bottom. In fact in nymph fishing it is always a good idea to let the fly hang at the bottom of the drift for a couple seconds to allow it to rise up off the surface, before you attempt to make the next cast. I think it was Jim Leisenring who first discovered this method of fishing to simulate the bugs that are hatching and swimming toward the surface. A really good book on nymph fishing was written by Rick Hafele called "Nymph-Fishing Rivers & Streams", well worth reading. We have all been there at one time or another, we finish a good drift, start pulling the line to bring the nymph up toward the surface to start another cast when all off a sudden we have a fish on.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:52 AM

double dry is on a distinguished road

I advocate the use of a "position set". At the end of each nymph drift, as the bugs rise thru the water columns, I will put in a postion set. The timing is hard to explain, but you can see what I'm talking about on a youtube video I produced.

I estimate we pick up 25% of our fish on the position set. You lose contact with the indicator in that portion of the drift (swing). As the flies rise thru the columns it simulates bug emergence or triggers fish to eat because food is getting away. Either way, try to utilize it.

Duane Redford
Old 03-10-2013, 11:44 AM

A position set would have definitely solved my problem and given me a good hook set. Ill definitely start doing that while nymphing.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:08 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
As your nymph is ascending toward the surface it looks like a bug hatching to the trout, so at times the fish will feed on your nymph as it approaches the surface, although they will seem ignore the nymph as it tumbles along the bottom. In fact in nymph fishing it is always a good idea to let the fly hang at the bottom of the drift for a couple seconds to allow it to rise up off the surface, before you attempt to make the next cast. I think it was Jim Leisenring who first discovered this method of fishing to simulate the bugs that are hatching and swimming toward the surface. A really good book on nymph fishing was written by Rick Hafele called "Nymph-Fishing Rivers & Streams", well worth reading. We have all been there at one time or another, we finish a good drift, start pulling the line to bring the nymph up toward the surface to start another cast when all off a sudden we have a fish on.
I haven't read that book, but I recommend:

Nymph Fishing for Larger Trout: Charles E. Brooks, Dave Whitlock: 9780941130905: Amazon.com: Books Nymph Fishing for Larger Trout: Charles E. Brooks, Dave Whitlock: 9780941130905: Amazon.com: Books

for a good discussion of many different ways to fish a nymph.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:40 AM

I've seen that book, on Amazon, I'll give it a look. I've been wanting to improve my technique for a while now. Nymphing is how I go my start, but I feel like there's an infinite amount of things to learn. I can do Pocket water fairly well. But what about large pools? Long flat runs? Lakes and ponds even? I'm still learning (like the fact that a 4 wt Classic trout has real problems roll casting a double nymph rig, time to break out the 5 wt NXT or buy that CZN rod Cabellas has in about a 6 wt.) Sorry to ramble on, I've had to learn most of this alone and it's been rock at points LOL.