The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 04:55 PM

bigshayne is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Southern Oregon

So I grew up in the Rogue Valley and now live in Bend. I really think that the Medford area is pretty awesome. Especially if you have the free time to drive three hours. Yes there is great fishing much closer, but if you draw a 3 hour radius around the valley, you might blow your mind with the amount of opportunities. First is the Rogue and what is arguably the best run of steel head in the lower 48, it also has the half pounders, and the holy water. To the east is Klamath lake and its tributaries - HUGE FISH, spring creeks and still water fishing. To the south you have all the Nor Cal streams - McCloud, Sacremento, etc. To the west, the coast - one of the best serf perch fisheries I have ever heard of is around Brookings and then the lower rogue, the Chetco, etc. To the north you have the Umpqua and the McKenzie, but on the other side of the mountains and push your 3 hour radius a little, you have the Deschutes, all of its tributaries, and the high lakes.
jsquires and ontheflyguide like this.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:31 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Jacksonville is pretty nice. It can get touristy(i dont think that is a word. lol) though. It would be a beautiful place to retire to with lots of great fishing not too far away.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshayne View Post
So I grew up in the Rogue Valley and now live in Bend. I really think that the Medford area is pretty awesome. Especially if you have the free time to drive three hours. Yes there is great fishing much closer, but if you draw a 3 hour radius around the valley, you might blow your mind with the amount of opportunities. First is the Rogue and what is arguably the best run of steel head in the lower 48, it also has the half pounders, and the holy water. To the east is Klamath lake and its tributaries - HUGE FISH, spring creeks and still water fishing. To the south you have all the Nor Cal streams - McCloud, Sacremento, etc. To the west, the coast - one of the best serf perch fisheries I have ever heard of is around Brookings and then the lower rogue, the Chetco, etc. To the north you have the Umpqua and the McKenzie, but on the other side of the mountains and push your 3 hour radius a little, you have the Deschutes, all of its tributaries, and the high lakes.
Very good over view above. The thing that makes the Rogue Valley such a great place to live is ..... there are damned few people here. Really. Jackson County is the 'population' center of Southern Oregon and we're at a tad over 200,000 people. 30 minutes from down town Medford and you're 'in the sticks' any direction you point your car.

Interestesting bit is this is the fourth 'electronic conversation' I've had in a tad over a week with folks looking to move to the area. If you're retired this is a heck of a great place to be. Any 'out door activity' you can think of is available within an hour of our front door. And I do mean 'any.'

Weather wise we're considered 'high desert' with average rain fall of less than 20 inches. Snow in the Winter, rare on the valley floor but the mountains around us can easily get 250 inches. Summer temps usually in the mid-80's to mid-90's, with a handful of days that will top 100.

Etc.

fae
Old 05-02-2013, 05:41 PM

ontheflyguide is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshayne View Post
This is a TRUE statement if I have ever seen one. I love the Rogue Valley, I can be on the river in 5-10 minutes. within a hour and a half I can catch trophy trout, bass, lingcod, surf perch. where else can you do that!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:15 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Rogue Valley is one of the few places I can think of where you go snow skiing in the morning, put your gear away and be 'jet sking' on a huge lake 20 minutes later. Done with that, 30 minutes later you're casting for steelhead on the Rogue River.

Not kidding about the time frames. (Mt. Ashland, Emigrant Lake, then up I-5 to Tou Velle Park.)