The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 04:47 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about
Default Southern Oregon

Southern Oregon experts (Fred), what do you think about Jacksonville?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:36 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Southern Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
Southern Oregon experts (Fred), what do you think about Jacksonville?
I grew upon Jacksonville from 1973-1996 . Great small little town , Medofrd has obviously grown a lot closer to J'Ville than it used to be. Tons of outdoor activities from fishing to skiing.

Anything in particular you want info on ?

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 03-11-2013, 06:45 PM

Still struggling with finding the right area to buy a small retirement cabin. Kids are just north of Sacramento, so I'm thinking Southern Oregon would be doable. Redding is too hot for my liking.
ontheflyguide likes this.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:55 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Jacksonville is pretty small and relatively quiet. It has become yuppy sort of which means real estate is a premium. I don't know what your priorities for a retirement place, but I am going to assume chasing fish is on the list.

Jacksonville will give decent access to Applegate river and lake along with some small streams upriver of the Applegate lake (carberry creek). You will also be in decent range of the rogue river.

Or you could look at the other end of the valley out towards Eagle Point or all the way out to Shady Cove. That will get you probably lower property prices, more golf. You will have access to the rouge river, lost creek lake and a little further out the S Umpqua river and a straight shot over to Bend.

Either side will give you fairly equal access to I-5 , the mall and downtown

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I'll compare Ashland to Jacksonville as both are tourest Mecca's. Major difference is Ashland's three (or more) times larger. Both great places to walk around and poke your nose into the stores, eat, etc. Ashland has the Shakespeare theater(s) and JV has 'Britt.'

As far as a place to live they also have something in common: 'The most expensive housing in all of Southern Oregon.' If looking for housing look further west in the Rush (sp?) area as you get 'Rural' real quick after you leave the City limits.

The Applegate river is quite close, but public access is very limited and tends to pack people into a relatively few 'spots.' Candidly, I don't even bother to make the drive save for mid-week.

"Or you could look at the other end of the valley out towards Eagle Point or all the way out to Shady Cove. That will get you probably lower property prices, more golf. You will have access to the rouge river, lost creek lake and a little further out the S Umpqua river and a straight shot over to Bend.

Either side will give you fairly equal access to I-5 , the mall and downtown"

Fully agree with the above statement. I lived in Ashland for years and purchased a new out of the box home (new subdivision) east of 'Down Town' White City. Even today you can purchase a hell of a good sized home for UNDER $200K. $200K in JV is a good down payment (ditto Ashland).

My home is located one mile east of the intersection of Hwy 62 and 140 (to K Falls). I can be in down town Medford in less than 15 minutes, on the Rogue in about 10, etc.

If you need more info on the area, PM me with your questions.
Fred
Old 03-12-2013, 11:09 AM

Thanks, guys. That was very helpful.
Looking at Idaho, also.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:43 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
Thanks, guys. That was very helpful.
Looking at Idaho, also.
Just an fyi.. there's no Zachery's once you leave - lol
Old 03-12-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Just an fyi.. there's no Zachery's once you leave - lol
What's that?
If you're tallking about Zachary's Pizza, I'm not a fan. I like East Coast pizza, thinner crust.
What are the winters like in Bozeman? And what kind of airline connections do you have?
This is getting ridiculous. Can't make up my mind. It's either too hot, too cold, too expensive, too remote.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:00 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Yes - Zachery's - I guess it's like fishing. Best Pizza (for me) ever
Old 03-12-2013, 04:03 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Do you think Roseburg and surrounding towns are too far north for you? I came very close to a move there a few years back and still would in a heartbeat.