The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 01:27 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Help me out... Help me plan some destinations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
FlyFisher, Thanks for all the tips... I've not been to Manhattan, KS.. But have drank a lot of Tall Grass... So I feel as if part of me has been there... Mainly my liver...
Good stuff, that Tall Grass. They make it at the Little Apple Brewery in town, Supposed to be a good place to eat, at least by the testimony of my fellow grad students.

Lawrence might also fit your plans. Clinton lake is right there, along with Lonestar Lake and the Kansas River. They have a fly shop, Yagers Flies. http://www.yagersflies.com. A good website is Free State Flyfishers. They're a club based in town. Free State Fly Fishers - A Kansas FFF Fly Fishing Club in Lawrence, KS

Also, great food and brew can be had at the Free State Brewery on Massachusetts street.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

I agree with whoever said it sounds like too much driving and not enough fishing. By the time you get from point A to point B AND figure out where you're going to spend the night, it doesn't leave much time for fishing. If it was me, I'd skip the Black Hills, drive to Colorado the quickest way possible, spend two or three days in Colorado, one LONG day of driving to get to Missouri and drop down off I-70 into the Ozarks, spend a good day fishing the upper Current River below Montauk, and then see where you are time wise. Living as I do more than half the year in Missouri, I can tell you that the Meramec is maybe worth a day, but the Current is much better. I don't like the trout parks, so I would definitely avoid either Maramec Spring or Montauk, and fish the rivers below them.

I've done quite a few road trips over the years, and much prefer to concentrate on one area rather than covering multiple states in one trip. You could definitely spend a week in the Missouri Ozarks, either fishing for trout or combining it with some great stream smallmouth bass fishing, and never fish the same water twice.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:12 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I can tell you that the Meramec is maybe worth a day, but the Current is much better.
al_a has a very good point. The Current is a better water by reputation. My reason for directing you to the Meramec was distance and travel constraints.

All else being equal, the Current trumps the Meramec, hands down.