The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 11:39 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Help me out... Help me plan some destinations...

If I can tighten down on my budget... I'm looking at maybe making a big ol loop of a trip that'll take me through SD, WY, CO, KS, MO, IA and back to MN... I'm going to leave this trip to being absolutely no more than 7 days...

So what I'm looking to do is just get to my destinations that night.... park... sleep... wake up and fish... get back to my car... and head to my next destination... park... sleep... start fishing in the morning... and so on and so forth... I'd like to do this for 3 days... then get to StL from CO Springs area...

So what I'm thinking is pre-day 1 red eye it through MN and most of SD and get to the black hills area... sleep...

Official day 1 fish somewhere in the black hills area... maybe even get over to WY and fish...

Day 2... Wake up somewhere in CO and fish...

Day 3.... Wake up somewhere in CO and fish more...

Day 4.... Drive to StL(stop and fish on the way while heading through KS/MO)

Day 5.... Spend with the gf...

Day 6.... Drive back to MN...

Day 7.... Sleep

Now my problem here is I'm gonna need some areas to fish... Something that is wade-able... navigable by foot... and has public access... I'd like to be able to land my first ever cutties and/or whitefish and/or anything else I can't catch back home... during the SD,WY, CO part of my trip and was hoping folks could give me ideas... Like I said I plan on being in the Black Hills area... Then down through the North Platte basin from Cheyenne down through FC and CO Springs.... I'm not looking for honey holes... I have time to do some research myself... But if I can get that research down to a handful of streams... That will really help me with making this trip feasible... I plan on probably heading out around June 10th...

Thanks
Old 03-11-2013, 11:50 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Help me out... Help me plan some destinations...

Sounds ljke a great trip! Days 1 thru 4 seem like the best though!
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-12-2013, 12:02 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Sounds ljke a great trip! Days 1 thru 4 seem like the best though!
Indeed they will...

Wonder how I can get sponsored by 5hr energy... I'm gonna need it

Who knows... I may not even make it back to MN...Might get bored to death driving through KS or IA....
Old 03-12-2013, 12:07 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Plenty of sleep when you die! Fish till you drop is my motto!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-12-2013, 12:56 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Here in CO you gotta hit the Taylor and the South Platte in Cheeseman Canyon.

Randy
Old 03-12-2013, 05:00 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a fun trip, but you are probably going to be dealing with spring runoff so I'd be looking at mainly tailwaters. Although we have had a pretty low snowpack so far this year so run off will probably be pretty brief. Coming from MN you might also look at stopping at the Bighorn in Ft. Smith, MT, fish there a day then head south on I-25 to Casper, WY, then take hwy 220 south about 30 miles to Alcova and fish the Grey Reef section of the North Platte. As you head south on hwy 220 look for the brown public access points along the river and also when you turn off the hwy at Alcova there is a fly shop on the dirt road heading over to the dam. Pick up a river map when you get your WY fishing license, there is quite a bit of public access along the dirt road. The river is marked with blue and red signs. The blue means the beginning of public property and the red means the beginning of private property. In MT the public owns the riverbed, in WY the landowner owns the riverbed. There is public camping along the river, a bit rustic but perfect for a fisherman. Something else to consider is that the north platte river between Seminole Reservoir and Pathfinder reservoir is called the miracle mile (actually about 8 miles long) and is all public land and that can be good fishing also and is basically south (on dirt roads) from Alcova. Lots of camping along the miracle mile stretch also.
Something else to consider is to head east on I-80 until you get to Rock Springs, WY, then head south on hwy 191 to Dutch John, UT and fish the Green River below Flaming Gorge. The fishing there is awesome and the best part is the land is all BLM so you have total access to the river. BLM has built a walking path from the dam all the way to Little Hole the first take out 7 miles.

Larry
Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Day 2... Wake up somewhere in CO and fish...
Day 3.... Wake up somewhere in CO and fish more...
Rocky Mountain National Park might be worth a look. If streams are blown out by run-off, you could hit the Big Thompson tailwater coming out right there at Estes Park. I did something similar last year. Miles of public access along the highway.

Quote:
Day 4.... Drive to StL(stop and fish on the way while heading through KS/MO)
Kansas is my home state. And, no, it is not boring. Beautiful! You likely won't be wading in Kansas, though. Think reservoir tailwaters for warmwater species or fishing from shore.

By the way, I'd suggest taking U.S. 36 in the Northwest part of the state to see the Arikaree breaks, then swing down to I-70. Cedar Bluff reservoir, Glen Elder/Waconda lake, and Norton reservoir come to mind out west for fishing. (I've not fished them, and I'm not sure about water levels; drought affects those lakes.) Further east, Milford reservoir, Perry Reservoir, Clinton reservoir, Tuttle Creek, and Hillsdale are good and are reasonably close to I-70.

If it were me, I'd aim for Manhattan/Ft. Riley. Milford reservoir is regarded as Kansas' best but it may be low. Tuttle Creek Reservoir is also there. Try the Rocky Ford Fishing Area just below it on the outskirts of Manhattan, especially if they are releasing water. It's pretty, some of it looked wadeable during normal release, and has a historical coolness about it. (Indians and pioneers used it as a river crossing, and there are remnants of an old hydroelectric dam). Signs explain the history. Be sure to have shad patterns for Milford and Tuttle/Rocky Ford.

Pottawatomie state fishing lakes #1 and #2 are in that area, too, and there is the Kansas River which might get you into white bass and certainly rough fish. A little further south is Council Grove Reservoir and city lake and the scenery on the way to them is beautiful (you will like the Flint Hills in the Manhattan area).

You can investigate all of these lakes on the KDWP website as well as Rocky Ford.

Trout--the only place worth a look would be Kanopolis reservoir. It has a seep stream that they have been trying to make a year long fishery. Information is available on youtube and on the Flatland Flyfishers website out of Wichita.

Missouri: Truman tailwater and Lake of the Ozarks/Bagnell dam tailwater. These are warmwater fisheries and outstanding.

For trout, try the Meramec river at St. James. It's probably the most accessible from I-70 (You'll find it SE of Jeffferson city). There's a trout park there (some dislike the parks, but the river below it is more traditional trout water.) Google Missouri trout hunter for an outstanding website and Msissouri's conservation department can explain things.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:07 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Your not giving yourself enough time to enjoy fishing with all that driving.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:41 AM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

I tend to agree with Rockriver. But I guess it depends on you and what you want the trip to be about. I'm just remembering back to road trips where the road was too much of the trip and dictated the timing of the trip. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great time and come back with lots of pictures and stories.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:29 PM

Thanks for all the Advice guys...

Larry, Thanks for all the ideas... but MT/UT starts to really get out of the range of what i have intended.... driving... and time off required...

FlyFisher, Thanks for all the tips... I've not been to Manhattan, KS.. But have drank a lot of Tall Grass... So I feel as if part of me has been there... Mainly my liver...

Rock, I like the road... I don't mind driving... Half the fun of fishing to me sometimes is the adventure of just getting there... There will be no shortage of scenery for me to enjoy...

If you couldn't tell by the schedule... it's planned to be a kill two birds with one stone deal.... Be able to fish out of state... somewhere where i've never fished before... and go visit the gf who will be off in StL doing her nursing internship... Who knows I may just drive back down to the foothills of the Ozarks again... I fished Little Piney River last time I visited the StL area... It was really nice... and quite surprised my little neon made it down the roads that it did to get there... even after a fellow angler I ran into warned me "Careful... This road gets rough... It may be too much for your car... Better to have 4 wheel drive".... Which translated to me while I was driving "Sh*t...I gotta drive through a stream??? Better gun it"... I also checked out the Busch lakes... And will not waste my time with that place again... nor the backwoods cashier they had that couldn't figure out how to print up a 3 day license... which forced me to just buy a full out of state license just so i could get on with the fishing...