The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 09:32 AM

recriger will become famous soon enough
Default Trouble describing the drag system

I am having trouble remembering a term used to describe a function of the drag system.

The reason: I got very little sleep last night (hyper 3 year old wouldn't sleep) so my brain is unusually muddled.

I was in Cincinnati's new Orvis store this weekend comparing 2 of their reels. The Hydros large arbor and the Mirage. He described one advantage of the Mirage, but I have forgotten what terms he used. Thought you guys could help.

It is related to the start-up inertia. If you picture reeling line in... as you reel there is no tension as the reel rotates. If you stop at some point and start to reel backwards (letting line out) the Hydros rotated, perhaps, 3 degrees or so before the disk drag ingaged. The Mirage didn't rotate backwards at all. I can't remember what he used to refer to this backwards rotation prior to engagement.

Another less important word I couldn't think of was to describe the moment when that back rotation stops and the disk drag ingages. If a fish grabs the fly and takes off; That reel will rotate backwards those 3 degrees (or so) and then there will be an impact as the friction against the disk is overcome. Impact doesn't seem correct to me. Is that "impact" known by a better term? Perhaps "back lash".

I'm thinking I've heard a term used for this impact when describing how tippets can get snapped.

Thanks to all
Old 03-12-2013, 03:02 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Trouble describing the drag system

some would simply call it "play"

casey

ARFE