The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 02:28 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: So I'm thinking ultralight, but where to start?

Damn that's a good deal on the line. Although it looks like they only have 1wts in stock, may not be a problem though depending on what rod I get. I wish the Orvis Finesse rods were a little cheaper.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:52 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Damn that's a good deal on the line. Although it looks like they only have 1wts in stock, may not be a problem though depending on what rod I get. I wish the Orvis Finesse rods were a little cheaper.
Nick, I think we all wish for the same. Manufacturers will push pricing as high as the market will bear. As long as we are willing to shell out small fortunes for that new miracle rod, they will gladly take your money. Wait till the dust settles and get it on closeout at a more reasonable price.
thewalker1013 likes this.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:57 PM

mattwolf is on a distinguished road

I just ordered a 5 foot 2wt from Jordan Ross JPROSS fly rods. Custom Fly Rods and Fly Fishing equipment inspired by the Adirondacks I cast it the other day in his yard and I am completely amazed by it. For a 5 foot rod I could cast it 30 to 40 feet. I am not a very good caster either. If you contact him he would be able to help you out anyway possible. He builds his rods from scratch and they are awesome. At least check out his website and you can get a feel for what he does.

Thanks,
Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
Nick, I think we all wish for the same. Manufacturers will push pricing as high as the market will bear. As long as we are willing to shell out small fortunes for that new miracle rod, they will gladly take your money. Wait till the dust settles and get it on closeout at a more reasonable price.
I have to agree! You also might want to check out the Orvis outlet in Kittery, ME. They always have some rods in stock for pretty good prices. The downside is that they have no warranty. So, the question one has to ask oneself is "Do I break rods (feel lucky)?" Well, do ya?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 PM

psychologicalperch is on a distinguished road

I have an Orvis Superfine Touch and after owning numerous other rods I can say that this is an amazing rod, especially for its price. It is accurate and has a great full flex action for superb dry fly fishing.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:56 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

FWIW, I have an old 2 wt Sage LL that I absolutely love. It's 7'9" but most of what I use it for has zero canopy. I'm tempted to get a little 3 wt shorter than 7 just for grins, would be fun.

You can find some of the LLs on the big auction site, I follow em fairly closely and a 279 custom just went for $225... One similar to the 4711 I own went for almost $500!!! ****, of all the rods I own, that would have to be the one I'll never ever part with...
Old 03-14-2013, 06:20 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

mattwolf: I'm sure his fly rods are great, but I don't like to order custom fly rods from individual people who make them. It's hard to get a sense of their flex and action before you buy them, and you really take a chance with customer service. Plus I just don't know how the rods compare to others and their are often little to no reviews.

Like I said, I'm sure his rods are great, just not my style.

Right now I'm leaning towards a 2wt Echo Carbon. I'd probably get the TFO Finesse if it came with a damn rod case. I actually have a rod case that might work, but the principal just pisses me off.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:45 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Nick...I'm not against ulatalights by any means, I've used them myself in the past. On bluegill however, I ran into major problems of controlling a decent sized one of rushing into the lilly's or timber in the water. Just something to consider.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
Nick...I'm not against ulatalights by any means, I've used them myself in the past. On bluegill however, I ran into major problems of controlling a decent sized one of rushing into the lilly's or timber in the water. Just something to consider.
Ahh, but that's all part of the fun.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:09 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

My suggestion, is going to come in way under budget, but I figure why not share it.

I absolutely love this rod, and consider it my nicest.

Gremlin Fishing Emerald Matrix Fly Rods

I have a 3wt, and could recommend this manufacturer. I really don't have anything to compare it too in the price range your considering, I also do not have any complaints with it.

I do like this rod more than my two TFO's (A Lefty Pro / and a Signature), that hit the bank account at a slightly steeper cost. To sum things up, I consider this rod a nice value per cost investment. For me, I consider this a nice rod. I personally do not need anymore performance than this little gem has to offer.

Its also brought in my largest flyrod fish to date without any hiccups, (Note: I don't have anything really big to brag about either, but that's a different story).

There is a misconception out there that may or may not be a common narrative. I've more than once heard that light weight rods, and the fisherman who use them overplay fish. I believe that there is some merit to this argument when fishing with other methods, but for us fly fisherman the tippet is usually the most limiting factor. A lighter weight rod is perfectly capable of protecting a same break strength tippet, than a heavier rod, if ones fighting style also gets adjusted.

This is why we all feel the need to have low inertial high dollar drags, (is it not?) If you got the reel to do the job, might as well let it perform the job it was engineered to accomplish! Just angle that rod right, adjust your style, and allow that tippet to max out its capabilities.

The way I see it, when it comes to fly fishing, its the tippet that really matters, not the weight rod we all choose to individually fish. Most guys who choose lighter weight leaders / tippets, also choose smaller flies, and pursue smaller fish, as the tippet is a critical piece in the presentation of a lighter offering.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

Nick Ultralight fly fishing is confusing. I posted this chart on another board a few years ago. I will repost here, and hope it helps you out some.

Click the image to open in full size.

It would be natural too assume 0, 00, 000, are lighter than 1wts. But from my findings I believe this is not true. These are proprietary measurements, that have been refined to a more precise detail outside of the precision offered from AFTMA.

***** Note: I'm sure maybe not everyone has come to the same numbers as me. This is my understanding, and would welcome any opinions / statistics that differ to my posted findings.*****

As I'm just trying to clarify, a misunderstanding I also had when first venturing into this same topic. (note: I very well might be wrong, but have not yet found information contradicting the stats I posted.) I would welcome other findings on this subject, so that my own knowledge could also become more accurate.

Anyways, I hope I may have helped, if nothing else I may have provided you with some topics of interest, and hopefully a relevant easy to read scale to help determine your next rod purchase.

Last edited by charged; 03-14-2013 at 07:13 PM.