The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   can I fly fish without a boat (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/313358-can-i-fly-fish-without-boat.html)

sosa 03-12-2013 01:59 PM

can I fly fish without a boat

Can I fly fish without a boat or getting in the water I'm new
I plan on using my rod for bass fishing the canals here in Miami

theboz 03-12-2013 02:15 PM

Re: can I fly fish without a boat

Absolutely! In 10 days Ill be doing just that , fishing the canals in Miami without a boat and definately not wading(dont care much for gators!) Very productive way to catch Peacock Bass! Fish the beachs as well for Jacks,Ladyfish,Pompano and whatever else comes along!
Its an advantage to be up on the canal bank when targeting Peacocks, easier to spot them on the beds!

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Oh WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

troutnut4 03-12-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sosa (Post 535999)
Can I fly fish without a boat or getting in the water I'm new
I plan on using my rod for bass fishing the canals here in Miami

Sure you can. Getting a few bites takes on a whole new meaning when you are ducking alligators? :eek: I would take more than a rod along. :rolleyes:

rockriver 03-12-2013 03:03 PM

Sure, as long as you don't mind the mocassins and gators. Sorry, but I'd use at least a canoe.

Guest1 03-12-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockriver (Post 536036)
Sure, as long as you don't mind the mocassins and gators. Sorry, but I'd use at least a canoe.

Wear boots and pay attention. People over worry about snakes and when's the last time you heard of a fisherman being attacked by a gator? Leave the Poodle home and you'll be fine.

runningfish 03-12-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troutnut4 (Post 536032)
Sure you can. Getting a few bites takes on a whole new meaning when you are ducking alligators? :eek: I would take more than a rod along. :rolleyes:

Exactly! I would bring a six pack too.

sorry for not being helpful. We only need to worry about some tame mountain lions here.

handifly 03-12-2013 03:23 PM

If you want to buy a boat, the answer is of course no. And a boat will be fun.
If you need to prove you need one to a spouse, tell her it will be dangerous for you to fish without one.

To me it is like the question, "do I need another rod?"

Would you live without a boat? Define living.

You want the boat, so go get it. If you will feel less guilty, get one twice as good but used :) No difference in cost, but better value.

rockriver 03-12-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diver Dan (Post 536042)
Wear boots and pay attention. People over worry about snakes and when's the last time you heard of a fisherman being attacked by a gator? Leave the Poodle home and you'll be fine.

Easy to say when your standing on 30 inches of ice Dan. :) Actually, Dan is right on this and when I Lived in Florida, I never gave it a second thought when wading. It's usually the rattlers that are the problem and their on the land mostly. I also have never heard of anyone getting snake bit in the water, and I know a few that got hit on land, myself included.

troutnut4 03-12-2013 03:41 PM

As Teddy R. once said "walk softly and carry a big stick".:rolleyes: He must have been a avid Florida fisherman.:rolleyes: Our biggest issue here is mosquitoes. :frogdance

wt bash 03-12-2013 03:58 PM

I fished those canals when I made the wrong choice of trying to live in Fla. (no offense Sosa) day time no biggie but once the sun sets its awfully spooky seeing all those eyes glaring back at you!