The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 01:59 PM

sosa is on a distinguished road
Default can I fly fish without a boat

Can I fly fish without a boat or getting in the water I'm new
I plan on using my rod for bass fishing the canals here in Miami
Old 03-12-2013, 02:15 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can I fly fish without a boat

Absolutely! In 10 days Ill be doing just that , fishing the canals in Miami without a boat and definately not wading(dont care much for gators!) Very productive way to catch Peacock Bass! Fish the beachs as well for Jacks,Ladyfish,Pompano and whatever else comes along!
Its an advantage to be up on the canal bank when targeting Peacocks, easier to spot them on the beds!

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Oh WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-12-2013, 03:00 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosa View Post
Can I fly fish without a boat or getting in the water I'm new
I plan on using my rod for bass fishing the canals here in Miami
Sure you can. Getting a few bites takes on a whole new meaning when you are ducking alligators? I would take more than a rod along.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:03 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Sure, as long as you don't mind the mocassins and gators. Sorry, but I'd use at least a canoe.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Sure, as long as you don't mind the mocassins and gators. Sorry, but I'd use at least a canoe.
Wear boots and pay attention. People over worry about snakes and when's the last time you heard of a fisherman being attacked by a gator? Leave the Poodle home and you'll be fine.
Troutwhisperer likes this.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:14 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
Sure you can. Getting a few bites takes on a whole new meaning when you are ducking alligators? I would take more than a rod along.
Exactly! I would bring a six pack too.

sorry for not being helpful. We only need to worry about some tame mountain lions here.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:23 PM

handifly is on a distinguished road

If you want to buy a boat, the answer is of course no. And a boat will be fun.
If you need to prove you need one to a spouse, tell her it will be dangerous for you to fish without one.

To me it is like the question, "do I need another rod?"

Would you live without a boat? Define living.

You want the boat, so go get it. If you will feel less guilty, get one twice as good but used No difference in cost, but better value.
tbblom likes this.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:28 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Wear boots and pay attention. People over worry about snakes and when's the last time you heard of a fisherman being attacked by a gator? Leave the Poodle home and you'll be fine.
Easy to say when your standing on 30 inches of ice Dan. Actually, Dan is right on this and when I Lived in Florida, I never gave it a second thought when wading. It's usually the rattlers that are the problem and their on the land mostly. I also have never heard of anyone getting snake bit in the water, and I know a few that got hit on land, myself included.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:41 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

As Teddy R. once said "walk softly and carry a big stick". He must have been a avid Florida fisherman. Our biggest issue here is mosquitoes.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:58 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I fished those canals when I made the wrong choice of trying to live in Fla. (no offense Sosa) day time no biggie but once the sun sets its awfully spooky seeing all those eyes glaring back at you!