The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By theboz
  • 2 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By thechroniclesofmasi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 06:52 PM

thechroniclesofmasi is on a distinguished road
Arrow How would you get your Mangrove Muddler deeper?

Hi All,

So I am new to the sport, but not new to fishing. I have been catching red fish for ever and know that the strike zone is just above the grass.

So I did my research and found some good patterns for reds however they all pretty much float. I am using a combination of leader material from Hard nylon to Fluro (at least the last two tippets), but nothing will make them go under more.

So my question is: What methods are out there to get my flies between 1-3 feet below the surface?

All of the patterns are between #4 - 2/0.

I know about intermediate sinking lines but that will just make the line sink in such shallow water and the fly will be on the surface still.

Splitshot?

Do I need to grease the leader?

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Thanks
Old 03-13-2013, 11:09 PM

pkins44 will become famous soon enoughpkins44 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How would you get your Mangrove Muddler deeper?

I'm not sure if this helps. But if you tie up your own flies and are looking for the same fly to hit different depths I tie some assorted diameters of lead wire just over the base layer of thread. Then I tie the the fly as I normally would. This is the method I use for fishing my home river that runs from 2-5' deep. I hope this helps and I know this is just one method. But there is always more than one way to skin a cat. Hope this helps.

http://www.dupageriverflyfishing.com
Old 03-14-2013, 12:07 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Muddler depth can easily be regulated by tying your pattern on a heavier hook. Light wire hooks high in the column , stainless steel a little deeper. Sparser patterns deeper yet. Experiment!
wt bash and bugslinger like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-14-2013, 12:13 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I try to keep clear of Lead Shot as a whack from them can damage Rods & they always seem to moove.
As mentioned using Lead Stripping Or Wire in The Bodies works well,Tungsten Beads are OK & can be used with many Different Lines,Sinking Heads etc.
Brian.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:59 AM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

If the advice the boz gave you doesn't work try some sheet tungsten under the gold body wrap, the sink rate with a saltwater hook should be fast enough to get to the Reds .
Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Tie the head with wool instead of deer hair.
bigjim5589 and wt bash like this.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:40 AM

thechroniclesofmasi is on a distinguished road

All very good suggestions!

Just what I was afraid of. I am not tying flies as of yet do to my time constraints.

I am posting a good sinking redfish pattern question on the saltwater forum if anyone wants to navigate over there and shoot me some suggestions.

Thanks!
wt bash likes this.