The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree34Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diamondback Rod Company

I was not insulting you.

Last edited by mcnerney; 03-28-2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Removed the political dialog
Old 03-15-2013, 06:32 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Umm, are you two going to bash NYC or sign my Petition. Dan, if Cortland wants to re-open the VT factory that is fine with me too. And I would think, Dan, that D-Back's are your kind of stout, American rods.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, U.S. yes, NY no. I can't ask a business to operate in that kind of environment. So if NY is the only option, then no. VT is a nonstarter as well. In fact given current trends, it won't be long before I won't be able to say U.S. yes.

And it isn't just what they have done in NY so far, it's the worry of where they are headed and may do at any time. As a business I wouldn't trust them as far as I could paddle Manhatten with a spoon.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:45 PM

fichy will become famous soon enough

More veiled insults. I've spent more time in wilderness, live in just as rural an area and worked more with my hands than most, yet you would assume, because I think people should be responsible for there own health , I'm some kind of liberal to be mocked. I'll tell all my friends to start packing. Unless you pay taxes and live in NY , I think you need to do more homework. Upstate has a different economy with a very good work force and relatively low wages. The business climate is not as bad as you make it to be, here. My apologies if you are the NYS comptroller or have an advanced degree in economics with a regional specialty.
cernhutch likes this.

Last edited by mcnerney; 03-28-2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Removed to political dialog
Old 03-15-2013, 07:38 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default Diamondback Rod Company

Just googled diamondback fly rods and found them at flydepot.com.
http://flydepot.com/flyfishing/diamo...ods/pid--1229/

Nice rods. Never heard of them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

9 out of 10 times!

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 03-15-2013, 07:55 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
You are undoubtedly correct, Moucheur, that Cortland has many fish to fry before they start baking a cake. I am not a business man and think more in terms of wanting to see more and better rods and reels. The first Diamondback product I ever saw was the original Leonard Golden Shadow rods...I mean, Leonard was still in business so this is way back when. Cortland had a big as Orvis fancy booth at Somerset this year and word is that new ownership is deep pocketed and ambitious. But it is true that starting a new rod factory, even if the old rolling tables and ovens are fine, is a big deal. Still, it would be very cool to see new US made Diamondbacks...
I think you mean Payne, not Leonard. After Jim Payne died, Bill Alley bought the defunct Payne bamboo shop and brand name from the last of a series of unsuccessful owners and moved it to Stowe, Vermont, where he had a fly shop and was making REC components. I believe he had been in the medical supplies business, and got the idea to use the diamond-woven material from medical stents or catheters in manufacturing graphite blanks, which was the inspiration for starting Diamondback. He had three series of rods: a budget, unsanded "Carbonite" series, a main line of "Diamondback" models, and a premium "Payne Golden Shadow" series. All three of them used the distinctive Payne cigar grip design, rather than the more ubiquitous reverse half-wells. I still have a Carbonite rod that Bill sold me out of the fly shop on a slow morning in 1991, and it is still a very sweet rod. (But even sweeter was standing next to Jim Payne's original workbench and looking at his shop gear, which was all set up and ready in the back of the fly shop.)

Anyway, Bill decided to retire and sold his businesses off in pieces. The Payne stuff went to Dave Holloman, a custom bamboo rodmaker in Oregon ( http://efpaynerodcompany.com/ ); the fly shop went to Bob Shannon, a local guide in Vermont ( http://www.flyrodshop.com/ ); the Diamondback business went to Barton Merle-Smith, another local Vermont businessman who kept the operations going and really built up the brand; and the REC components business was bought by a group in Connecticut and moved there, where it has continued to prosper ( http://rec.com/ ). Cortland eventually bought the Diamondback business from Barton after he had expanded it significantly, but then shortly after buying it, shut it down and laid everyone off (which surprised just about everybody).

My guess is, if anybody were going to try to bring Diamondback back, Barton would be the guy who would know how (and know whether it were even feasible). He's still knocking around in the Burlington, Vermont area. If you're really serious about trying to make something happen, you can find him in a Google search easily enough and try to see what he knows and whether he would be interested in making another go of it, or putting together or advising a group to do it. I don't think a handful of sentimentalists writing to the new Cortland owners to say "we sure miss the old Diamondback" is going to have much of an effect on their plans, whatever they are, though.

Last edited by moucheur2003; 03-15-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fichy View Post
, because I think people should be responsible for there own health , I'm some kind of liberal to be mocked.
First of all, I said you should be able to be responsible. If anyone is mocking you, it's New York and it's lack of faith in your decision making. But that is just symptomatic of the regulatory strangulation that keeps me from signing the petition. You got thin skinned and acted out because I said I couldn't in good conscience ask a company to operate in New York. I was talking economics, you turned it into politics.

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
9 out of 10 times!
And have you noticed there is a common theme?

Last edited by mcnerney; 03-28-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Removed the political reference and the attack, can we all just calm down?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:36 PM

fichy will become famous soon enough

Let's just choose to strongly dislike each other and leave it at that.

Last edited by mcnerney; 03-28-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Removed the attack.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Banned

As I said, It's the state not just the city. And your hard feelings are all on you. You took my economics comment and turned it political protest. Does this ring a bell?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
It's not a political issue. It's an economic issue, and it's the state, not just the city.

Last edited by mcnerney; 03-28-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Removed the political comment and attack
Closed Thread