The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree34Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 09:14 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Diamondback Rod Company

Well, I certainly hope the citizens of NY state, upper, lower and everywhere else are able to successfully deal with their treasonous governor and police forces if the corrupt courts don't. We are al going to be facing the same problems very soon as other state's blowfish all jump on the power waggon.

At least one judge in NY has a viable brain, and slapped Bloomer down a notch.

I wish all who live there the best.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:13 PM
incoming2oclock

I worked at for Diamondback fly rods from 1991-2007. I was in charge of rod design from 1996-2007 (Cortland closed the Vermont plant in 2007). I was in charge of the design of the "All American series"......"VSR series".........."Backwater series"............."Diamondfly series"............"Americana series"............."Saltwater series"................"Stu Apte series"............."Diamondglass series" (my favorite rod of all time)...........a series of one piece hybrid spin rods that were fantastic but, never made it to market due to the timing of the Vermont facility closing............to mention a few.

The equipment is pretty much all gone. A rod builder by the name of Mike Mcfarland from Mcfarland Fly Rods purchased the equipment so that he could start building his own blanks. Mike is an absolutely fantastic guy and makes incredible rods. His product, made in Pennsylvania, is American made. His attention to detail is second to none. Mike is a avid fly fisherman who knows rods and rod actions just as well, if not better, than just about anyone out there. When Mike first purchased the equipment, I helped him navigate the initial set up and many of those questions pop up when such endeavors begin.

Concerning the thought that some were interested in trying to bring back Diamondback, I think that it is a very noble idea but, trust me......it is a tough gig - lots of money and lots of time, not too mention lots of competition and no guarantees. My suggestion to you would be to put your positive energy and desire to buy American product and check out Mcfarland fly rods. I "have no rod in this casting contest"/dog in this fight......Mike just strikes me as great individual who makes great product.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:51 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Great post. Thanks for all the info. I'm sure some people here will check him out.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:22 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Incoming, Welcome to the forum, please stay involved. I am curious about the differences between the Saltwater and equivalent size Stu Apte rods? Also, I will take your advise and check out McFarland.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

incoming2oclock

looking forward to reading your next posts about rods...would be a good idea to go on the members introduction thread to tell us more about you
Old 03-27-2013, 01:51 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Anyone (incoming2oclock??) know if Carbonite DGS700 Graphite rods are Vermont or Cortland products??
Gary
Old 03-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Gary I had an All American 9' for a while ....some years ago...they had told me it was made in the Vermont factory...
Click the image to open in full size.
Just found this on the web...

An advanced combination of craftsmanship and performance, the Diamondback All-American™ Series is a unique, American-made fly rod that emphasizes quality as much as affordability. Crafted from blanks made in our Vermont factory, these medium-fast-action rods are easy loading for smooth short casts, yet still retain plenty of power when you need to reach out further and deliver your fly on target. Designed with a taper to suit most any level of angler, the Diamondback All-American Series features hard chrome stainless steel guides and an anodized aluminum reel seat for years of trouble-free performance.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:31 PM
incoming2oclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Incoming, Welcome to the forum, please stay involved. I am curious about the differences between the Saltwater and equivalent size Stu Apte rods? Also, I will take your advise and check out McFarland.

Thanks S & S! What I can tell you is that the Stu Apte and SaltWater series were both great rods and similar in some ways. (I know....pretty lame answer!). I would not hesitate to buy either one, just remember that the warranty was for the original owner. Diamondback also had a line of 2 piece rods in the Saltwater series. I loved both series. For saltwater, I'm particularly fond of 2 piece rods (when feasible). The 9012 (2) piece is one of my soul mates!!! Over-lined when conditions are not gin clear/calm water and straight 12 otherwise (or a 10 or 11 weight rods when fish are not happy).

The braiding process that we used was a pain in the everything but, it sure did make for some nice looking rods!

S&S - What was your thought on these rods? I was going to give you my opinion but, it might be a bit subjective

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Anyone (incoming2oclock??) know if Carbonite DGS700 Graphite rods are Vermont or Cortland products??
Gary

gt05254 - old school Stowe Vt is your answer. The All American (made in VT) was a more recent series with sleeve-over ferrule.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:47 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Thanks for the info, Incoming! Nothing like getting your info straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak!
Gary
Old 03-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to know they had not lied to me....so thanks to the "horse"