The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree33Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 06:46 AM
incoming2oclock

Default Re: Diamondback Rod Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Glad to know they had not lied to me....so thanks to the "horse"
This horse cannot only type but, there's a 60%ish chance that this horse also built that blank! If the rod breaks then the other guy built it

---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Thanks for the info, Incoming! Nothing like getting your info straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak!
Gary
No problem Gary - You're welcome!
moucheur2003 likes this.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:06 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Incoming, I have the 2-pc. saltwater in 9-weight and three Stu Apte 3-pc. rods, 9'/#5 & 6 and, my favorite, 9'/#12-13. Once, on a DIY Keys tarpon adventure with two old chums, we hooked countless fish, many at night, from 35 lb. to 125 lb. and, in the course of a full moon week, broke 5 Korean-built rods. At the end of our tarpon fest their where three rods left unscathed (yes, we undoubtedly made MANY mistakes), original, thick walled J Kennedy Fisher one piece, a Sage Xi3 and...drum roll please...the Diamondback. Our skiff was towed out past Indian Key in the light of the moon by a behemoth fish using my Diamondback as a lever.

Many times in this forum when we write about lighter is better in fly rod design, I agree but point out that if banging about in boats fighting big game fish is your thing, thicker walled, larger diameter, built-like-a-truck rods are worth their weight in Diamonds. I have read that the diamond braid is for looks only, this design does look cool, is that true or is it a function of some esoteric scrim technique? Also, there used to be a Golden Shadow rod with this same braided look, what do you know about that? I tried, after Diamondback's demise, to score a Western Classic from Cortland, alas to no avail.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 AM
incoming2oclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Incoming, I have the 2-pc. saltwater in 9-weight and three Stu Apte 3-pc. rods, 9'/#5 & 6 and, my favorite, 9'/#12-13. Once, on a DIY Keys tarpon adventure with two old chums, we hooked countless fish, many at night, from 35 lb. to 125 lb. and, in the course of a full moon week, broke 5 Korean-built rods. At the end of our tarpon fest their where three rods left unscathed (yes, we undoubtedly made MANY mistakes), original, thick walled J Kennedy Fisher one piece, a Sage Xi3 and...drum roll please...the Diamondback. Our skiff was towed out past Indian Key in the light of the moon by a behemoth fish using my Diamondback as a lever.

Many times in this forum when we write about lighter is better in fly rod design, I agree but point out that if banging about in boats fighting big game fish is your thing, thicker walled, larger diameter, built-like-a-truck rods are worth their weight in Diamonds. I have read that the diamond braid is for looks only, this design does look cool, is that true or is it a function of some esoteric scrim technique? Also, there used to be a Golden Shadow rod with this same braided look, what do you know about that? I tried, after Diamondback's demise, to score a Western Classic from Cortland, alas to no avail.

Sounds like a pretty epic week of tarpon fishing! I have an interesting tarpon story that I'll have to share some time (or maybe not due to the comment on the "Fly rod origin thread")- the story involves me diving off the boat to swim the rod under a mangrove shoot (with a 140-150 poundish tarpon on the end). Talking about a cluster! I also agree that rods of different design have different strengths. Especially when saltwater fishing, I want something that is built not only cast well but, also can handle the rigors and clusters that inevitably occur with salt. Plus, I like to subdue fish fast, for many reasons. If you don't mind, I'm going to take a pass on the braid question (coming from the horses mouth and all) - I'm not sure if anyone has any plans to bring the braid back? The Golden Shadow was a custom build rod with a high end touch, very limited numbers out there. Nice rods.....personally, I wouldn't break the bank to get one but, hey, they are a pretty unique rod. It's tough finding real nice Diamondback product out there.........just gotta keep you eyes open or put the wanted word out there - you never know!

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

Quote:
Incoming, Welcome to the forum, please stay involved. I am curious about the differences between the Saltwater and equivalent size Stu Apte rods? Also, I will take your advise and check out McFarland.

S & S - I was just testing your tolerance for really lame responses To elaborate a bit on your question, the Stu Apte and Saltwaters will have very similar actions and fishability. If you like one then you will like the other. Cannot provide specifics but, they are both very smooth and powerful casting rods and can really put a hurting on a fish at the end of your line. To be honest, I wish that I could go back in time and have 3 months to make a big batch of each of Diamondback's 12 best rods ever made............they would sell like hot cakes and at a premium price. Diamondback had a great following....given all things considered.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:28 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Please go back and read my post following yours in the Flying Pig thread. Were the Golden Shadows branded for Leonard? You can PM me if you wish about the braid matter. Note that in the tackle, fly rod section lower down our forum page we have a more knowledgeable group focusing on these questions than up here in General Discussions.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:29 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Anyone (incoming2oclock??) know if Carbonite DGS700 Graphite rods are Vermont or Cortland products??
Gary
Gary, I bought a Carbonite rod from Bill Alley in the early '90's before he sold the company to Barton Merle-Smith. They were definitely being made in Vermont at that time. I don't remember when they were discontinued, but I definitely don't remember seeing any of them after Cortland took over.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:20 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Who cares if the rods are made overseas now... overseas rods are being made at very good quality these days... look at TFO and Redington for example... Cortland is still based out of the US... So there are plenty of amerrricans still getting paid... I wouldn't mind buying American if it could be priced in the same range as overseas rods... But being American... I'm well aware of our need to spend frivolously and buy what we want when we want it... So it's pretty tough to get quality at cheap prices when we "need" so much money to live on from day to day...

Just remember... If China ever goes under... We're dead ducks as well... Support what's well made... not where it's made
fysh and nick k like this.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:35 AM

In this (out of business) Diamondback case, it is not a matter of country of origin preference. Rather, for those of us that are enthralled by rod designer not brand, it is an issue of whether the rod acquired was an "authentic" D-Back or a Cortland off shore re-branded product.
gt05254 likes this.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:55 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a Diamondback Aeroflex from a shop on closeout, and a couple from Cortland's factory store. Before buying the factory store rods, I called the repair dept at Diamondback/Cortland, and spoke with Tom or Scott, or someone like that, and asked if tips were still available for those rods. He told me that they were, and if they weren't, they could roll a new tip. I'm going to assume that those rods were made in the USA...Incoming??? I bought the first Aeroflex with the assumption that it was made in the USA.

I had an Americana 9' 8wt, and that was a very nice rod. Just stiff enough to get the job done, and able to cast 60 feet without much effort.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:33 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
those of us that are enthralled by rod designer not brand
Hey Incoming, are you designing new rods somewhere else now? If not, S&S wants to help you find a new job.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:14 PM
incoming2oclock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I bought a Diamondback Aeroflex from a shop on closeout, and a couple from Cortland's factory store. Before buying the factory store rods, I called the repair dept at Diamondback/Cortland, and spoke with Tom or Scott, or someone like that, and asked if tips were still available for those rods. He told me that they were, and if they weren't, they could roll a new tip. I'm going to assume that those rods were made in the USA...Incoming??? I bought the first Aeroflex with the assumption that it was made in the USA.

I had an Americana 9' 8wt, and that was a very nice rod. Just stiff enough to get the job done, and able to cast 60 feet without much effort.
First, I would like to thank you for your service! I did design the Aeroflex series and they were made in Vermont. I cannot comment on blanks made after the 2007 because I simply do not know the details after Cortland closed the Vermont factory. I have chosen to to cancel my account in the near future due to the comments made by another member on this website (I noticed your uniform so I wanted to answer your question before closing my account).

Best of luck while in or on the water!!!
Closed Thread