Cortland-Diamondback Petition

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Dear Cortland Line Company,

Many fly fishermen recall with chagrin the passion we had for Vermont-made Diamondback fly rods. Cortland had deep respect for them as well, enough to purchase the company. We understand the economic tribulations that befell not only Cortland but our great Nation as well that included the virtual demise of Diamondback rods as they had been. They were more than a brand, they were a philosophy of rod making that yielded some of the more delicate and handsome rods like the Classic and Western series up to among the toughest and most powerful Saltwater and Stu Apte series of rods. We miss them profoundly.

With the advent of inspiring new ownership at venerable Cortland, we active participants in the North American Fly Fishing Forum, humbly request that you give serious consideration to re-inventing Diamondback in a brand new, NY based, advanced technology, rod building facility. A premium US made rod employing sate of the art design, materials and NY craftspersons would be a grand testimony to the revitalization and elevation of the great Cortland brand by reintroducing the recognized but lamented brand, Diamondback.

Respectfully, The Membership of the North American Fly Fishing Forum

--------------------------------------------------

Please post your thoughts and when we get enough pages we can invite Cortland to visit our petition thread. Thank you, S&S

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I hear you. Only got to spend a few days (rod swap) with one of these beauties and was totally impressed. Rod designer 'Nail It.'

Only 'sad thing' is we could change some names and ask Sage to bring back the "XP's." Same thing, 'Nailed it.'

Fred Evans

djamtime

Reaction score
I am a 30 year old male who lives in upstate NY. I work in Syracuse NY, which happens to be right around the bend from Cortland. I am going to keep it short and sweet and I do not mean for this to be offensive. We all know fly fishing is a brand driven business. As sad as it sounds the Cortland co. would be the last brand that I would consider buying. I don't have the extravagant words to say that the product that I have seen has been geared way to far towards Wal-Mart and too far away from quality. This makes me sad because I would love to support a company from my home town.

On another note I have been hearing great things about the new Trout Boss line and Czech nymph tippet. For what it is worth I hope we can make this a cry for a local American company to step up their game in the rod and reel dept. I have not had a chance to cast an original Diamond Back rod. However every time I purchase a fly rod my father takes the time to tell me about the day he fished with his buddy's DB. He says he never caught a fish but had never had so much fun casting any rod.

ditz

Reaction score
We fishermen create the problem of good products going down the tubes. Many years ago Garcia-Mitchell made excellent products for us. The Mitchell 300 was the spinning reel all manufacturers tried to attain but they were not cheap. We started buying our fishing stuff at K=Mart so G-M started suppling the Big K with thier products. Big box retailers continually push the suppliers for lower and lower prices. To reach the goal set by the retailers they start cutting corners to meet the price demands because they like the money that the volume brings in. I mistakenly bought one of the Kmart 300's and I was sick the first time I took it fishing. It sounded like a coffee grinder even with the anti-reverse off. It was the only time that reel ever saw the water. What a shame. The same thing happend to Zebco. The good 33's sold for something over $20. They got cheaper as time went along and I bought one of the $12 ones and it was a poor excuse of the old original models. Another Kmart deal. I could go on but you get the picture. Both companies have dropped to no-names and at one time they were the top of the heap. I am guilty too. I refuse to pay $600 for a rod. :eek: Cortland was, at one time, the best fly line you could buy. I doubt that Kmart had anything to do with the demise of Cortland.