The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sun protection

I finally bought some cabelas brand long sleeve fishing shirts last summer and love them. I also wear a Simms no fly zone "sombrero" my wife calls it. It is amazing as I am Irish aka burn easy. My ears used to peel to the point of bleeding without burning just from constant exposure. I won't fish without my sombrero now.

I look stupid but my ears ( satellite dishes ) don't burn anymore.
jaybo41 likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 03-16-2013, 08:31 PM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road

There has got to be a way to be stylish and be efficiently clothed as well! I am on the quest.
BTW I got some sun gloves for my birthday last month (glacier gloves), but I think fingerless gloves look kind of cool. I have always been a t-shirt guy in the past but I am seriously reconsidering as there is definitely family history of cancer.

Last edited by kingofamberley; 03-16-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:07 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default Sun protection

I wear sun protection shirts a buff over back of neck head ears and front of nose and mouth. Works super well I don't get hot and it's 50spf also fingerless sun gloves. Never get hot with them. Also have on my ball cap of choice because my buff takes care of the rest. Then my sunglasses over top and I'm completely covered and look like some guy trying to rob a place lol
Old 03-17-2013, 06:14 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
Ditch the cotton and get a light weight breathable shirt.
Not a chance! Cotton absorbs moisture and provides rapid cooling to the body. IF you can stand the stuff sticking to you a bit anyway. I like the texture cotton shirts known as "seersucker" for this very reason (sticks a lot less).

Thin cotton is excellent in hot weather dude! The wicking stuff (nylon/poly) tends to be much hotter and breathes less, which makes you sweat more, and therefore requires more "wicking". I hate the stuff! The only "wicking" shirts I might consider would be the ones with back and pit vents so they aren't so damn hot.
Rip Tide and jcw355 like this.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:19 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Not a chance! Cotton absorbs moisture and provides rapid cooling to the body. IF you can stand the stuff sticking to you a bit anyway. I like the texture cotton shirts known as "seersucker" for this very reason (sticks a lot less).

Thin cotton is excellent in hot weather dude! The wicking stuff (nylon/poly) tends to be much hotter and breathes less, which makes you sweat more, and therefore requires more "wicking". I hate the stuff! The only "wicking" shirts I might consider would be the ones with back and pit vents so they aren't so damn hot.
I believed that as well and it generally holds true for most 'nylon/poly' shirts but this past fall I visited India (~98F / 95+ % humidity) & the LL Bean Coolweave shirts performed very good. The humidity was so bad that it felt like wading through a fog. Interestingly, seersucker & other light weight cotton fabrics are the choice in the Indian heat. The seersucker cloth was brought to India during the 1800's when the Brits ruled over the country.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:28 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post

To each their own i guess. The stuff i wear is no comparison over my regular cotton tees. I can wear a long sleeve Columbia PFG shirt and stand in the baking sun on a flat along the edge of the Columbia and be much cooler than i am in a regular cotton tee. It breathes a lot better than cotton, keeping much cooler.
45fisher likes this.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:29 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I never really have much good to say about Gander Mountain... But their Guide Series LS shirts are amazing... Bought one last summer... And even on the hottest.. muggiest minnesota august nights kept me feeling comfortable...
Old 03-17-2013, 10:53 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

I agree with Turbineblade that cotton is cooler than synthetics and remains my choice for hot weather. Synthetics dry faster and do a better job of wicking moisture from the body, but they are hotter and also retain presperation odor. For those that prefer synthetics, adding vinegar to the laundry wash cycle reduces the odor retention significantly.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:30 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Cotton t-shirts are no comparison to the thin, seersucker cotton button shirts I tend to use. Most of the ones I own don't anyway. I love t-shirts for just hanging out, don't get me wrong.

I'd bet if you tried a LS seersucker cotton shirt in the heat you'd probably love it .
Old 03-21-2013, 06:22 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I started wearing the knockoff Columbia LS fishing shirts with those new breathable t shirts or shirts, and stay cooler than a regular cotton t shirt, JMO. Also wear those lightweight pants that the legs zip off, I usually start out in the shorts, and zip the legs on when the sun gets up and going. Wear a wide brim hat, no baseball caps anymore, and sunglasses, and sunscreen. been considering the half finger gloves and buffs, but would probably feel funny for the first time or two.